Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G&L question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by shwashwa, Jul 18, 2005.

1. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    do the american or the tributes have graphite in the neck? do they have 2 way truss rods? thanks.

2. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

No graphite in any G&L neck. The US ones are "bi-cut" - the neck blank is sawed in half, truss rod channel routed from the side and then glued back together (maybe one side reversed?). This was Leo's solution for making a neck less prone to warping. I can't say if it works or not. The Tributes are one-piece maple.

Sorry, I don't know about the truss rods.

3. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Yeah, the bi-cut is a simple but effective manufacturing trick. Peavey has been doing this for years.

I've had a US G&L ASAT bass for almost 10 years and its Jazz-styled neck has never let me down. I don't know about the Tributes other than all the reviews I've read have been very positive and the ones I've tried out have been pretty damn good especially for the money. I suppose a few years will have to go by before we find out how well the Tribute necks really hold up but off hand I'd say you'd have little to worry about with proper care.

r

4. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    I'd say, as long as the truss rod is adjustable, you can adjust it as needed. Nothing stays perfect forever.

5. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    For what its worth, I have an '83 L-2000 and the neck it perfect. :D Awesome bass. I love it.

6. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    so we're not sure if the truss rod adjusts in both directions?

7. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I have an '86 and it's perfect too.

8. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    They have standard Fender style truss rods.

9. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    People, honestly, unless the neck is defective in some way, the conventional Fender one-way adjustable truss-rod is fine. Hell, there's a gazillion of them out there being played all over the world in every sort of unfavorable climate. In most cases, they hold up well. I suppose a two-way adjustable truss rod is a nice plus but how vital is it really? Both domestic and imported G&Ls are great. If you try either and it feels good, sounds good, is easy on the eyes and it fits yr budget then grab it! If your axe has a freak bum neck, take it back!

r

10. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    dont the new usa fenders have a 2 way adjustable rod? the only reason i ask is because i recently had a back bow on my carvin, and the 2 way rod saved my ass.... i'd love a tribute, but after that experience i think the 2 way rod is important