Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G&L Question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BassDodger, May 14, 2003.

1. BassDodger

BassDodger Guest

Jul 14, 2002
    I absolutely LOVE the sound of my G&L L-2000. It can mimick and even surpass some of the more traditional sounding basses IMO. But I was thinking of making it even MORE diverse...I NEED A TECH...

Here's the question:

As you may know, the L-2000 has a pick up selector switch with the 3 options. I was wondering, is it possible to replace it with a "pot"? I mean, instead of getting the "dead nuts" tone of each or both pick ups from a switch, can I apply a "reastat" or pot to float it? Like so that I can have 75% bridge pickup with 25% of the other and every increment in between? Man if possible, that would be the "be-all-end-all"!

And for an extra 20 points:

If I CAN do this, is it possible to do it so that in the event I don't like it I can just put it back to factory? Would I need to do any extra drilling or sodiering extra resistors? It would be GREAT if I could get it done and then know I haven't ruined the bass.

Someone in the know: PLEASE tell me!

Thanks in the advance...

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Yes, you could add a pot to blend the pickups.

To be able to return it to stock, you would have to find a pot with a shaft small enough to fit the hole of that microtoggle...not very likely!!!

Now, if you replaced one of the OTHER pots with some sort of stacked pot (the EQ pots are obvious candidates) then you could free up a hole for your blend pot. Messier, but then you could return it to stock.

3. John East

John East Commercial User

Jan 10, 2002
    Oxford UK
    Owner of E-Pro & East UK
    Bartolini has a diagram as to how to wire a blend pot. Go to:

http://www.bartolini.net/instructions/pickups/passive/blend/blndinst_noble.pdf

They have the pots too. Part no: cd250KD is the type of blend pot that you'd need. But you need to get the one with the smallest thread diameter, which is quoted as 8mm (I believe the thread dia. is 7mm so only slightly bigger than a standard toggle), the other type is 3/8", around 10mm.

As brianrost says, you'd have to make the toggle hole bigger.

John

4. BassDodger

BassDodger Guest

Jul 14, 2002
    Thanks!...now I have myself something to do this weekend!:) :cool: :bassist:

5. John East

John East Commercial User

Jan 10, 2002
    Oxford UK
    Owner of E-Pro & East UK
    Looks like it would be really tight to fit a pot in place of a toggle!

Probably a good idea to check the mechanics out first. Then wire a pot in to check that it will work to your satisfaction before doing anything to the precious bass.

6. BassDodger

BassDodger Guest

Jul 14, 2002
    ...Yea- looks as though I got some research to do. That Idea about combining pots from the bass tone looks good, but I want to still keep it uniform. I have yet to see a double pot in the silver metallic knob. Hopefully, I can just find a small pot....and oh, yea: I WILL be testing it 1st before I start Messing With the Machine!

7. Hi,

I was thinking of doing the same mod to an L-2000/L-2500 when I came across this thread.

I realise it was some time ago.....

Did you manage to complete the mod?

How did it work out?

It doesn't make sense to me why G&L didn't put a blend pot in as standard as theoretically that should allow you to mix bridge & neck pickups to hit the 'sweet spot' for the growly Jaco sound?

It will be really interesting to know how you got on.

Thanks,

Jeremy