Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G&L questions. ASAT VS. 2000 series.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tim Cole, Dec 15, 2002.

1. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Just had a couple of questions. First and foremost, is there a 5 string version of the ASAT available? If not, that pretty much ends my search. Curious to whether the 2 have similar necks, and overall feel...I see they have the same electronics/pu configs. I hear a lot about the L2000 and 2500 on here, but never anything on the ASAT's....I think they look great!

2. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Re. a 5-string ASAT, I don't know, but you can check www.glguitars.com. Re. the necks, they should be identical if there is a 5-string version. Otherwise, ASAT is same as L2000 apart from the body style. Watch out for neck balance though, as there is no upper horn.

3. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

Nope, no 5-string ASAT. Cass of Skunk Anasie (spelling?) has a custom made ASAT 5 but it's not a standard model.

I know I dislike the way a 4-string ASAT sits (neck dive, extra reach to the first fret because the bass hangs more off to one side from the lack of an upper horn). I shudder to think about a 5-string version, but that's personal preference.

Schecter used to have a 5-string (US made) with that body shape - it was in the big bassplayer 5-string shootout a few years back.