G&L SB-1 and rattle

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by shirojiro, Aug 13, 2002.

1. shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    Hi Folks,

Just thought I'd share - I got a 1987 G&L SB-1 for $260, and it's great! The sound is Pbass all the way, and it plays like a dream.

The only problem is that the D string tuner rattles. The Elephant ear is loose in the split shaft. Anyone know how to fix this?

2. shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    wow, unpopular thread... :(

I ended up using my hot-melt glue gun and running a bead around one side of the elephant ear. Worked great, and it's not *too* heinous.

I've been searching usenet, the FDP forum, the G&Ldp website, and here for info/opinions on the SB-1. There isn't a lot out there. I guess this bass isn't that popular.

The body is a bit less esthetically pleasing than the original Pbass since the horns are a bit smaller and the butt seems a bit fatter, but there are a bunch of nice features on theis bass: light weight tuners that taper toward the headstock, not toward the middle of the post; small headstock to reduce neck dive; bi-sawn (?) neck where a single piece of maple is sawn in half, one piece is flipped and then glued back into place - to reduce warping; *great* fretwork; smaller (but not shorter) horns and larger butt to further improve instrument balance; *great* pickups; high mass bridge with locking screw.

The vintage white paint job is taking some time to grow on me though. It sure looks yellow to me...

Just talking to myself here... :)
  3. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

That was a great price! I've got an SB-2 (same thing with a J bridge pickup) and really like the G&L MFD P pickup. I wasn't sure how to fix your rattling tuner (I had one that did that on a G&L Climax once but sold it before I got around to fixing it) so I didn't reply earlier.
  4. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    A little 'silver soldering' works wonders on those rattly tuning pegs. A local gunsmith or jeweler should be able to hook you up, or you could try the DIY route.

I like the vintage white... same color as my P Bass. Nice price!

5. shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    Thanks for the responses guys! I was getting that tumbleweeds feeling...

When the hotmelt glue peels off, I'll try the silver solder route.