G&L SB-1 don't like flats! HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by aaronious, Aug 30, 2018.

1. aaronious

aaronious

May 23, 2011
    Denver CO
    I have this here G&L SB-1. The tuners, which I'm assuming, are nickel are very soft. You can see how they have been sorta rounded out over the years, 34 to be exact.

I love this bass and I don't want to have to change anything. I have it string up with black diamond nickel rounds. But I really want to try some flats on it it. Here's the problem, they just slip right off. I've tried over winding, removing the silks and sharp break angles. Nothing works. I'll get one almost there and it'll just keep slipping. If I have to I'll just replace them with new ones and keep these for originality, but I'd rather not. These are worn in beautifully.

Anyone have any experience with this and how did you fix it? Do you know of any flats with no silk? Though I doubt that's the answer, I'm willing to try.

PLEASE HELP!!

Attached Files:

2. It's a consumable part. If it no longer functions to spec, get it changed.

3. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    There are tuners whose posts are made that way. They are not rounded out from years of usage.
    It's a bit unconventional for bass, but you could use the same technique as used on guitars.
    Not sure how to explain it, so I'll just post a pic.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTOH3Z9v3eQEMx4StlruvSpa__HCp5eczM6Muap01zhSsJPtcq9.jpg

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021