1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

G&L SB-1 owners...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by father of fires, Sep 16, 2010.

1. father of fires

father of fires Commercial User

Nov 29, 2006
    BALTIMORE CITY
    Chief of Medicine at Damnation Audio
    Do you ever feel like your pickup is too powerful?

The sexy bass in my sig is my life partner. I see a long future ahead. The fit and finish is top notch. But, the pickup is hot. I mean nuclear hot.

I've been having these thoughts lately about trying out out a different pup but, then I feel like Leo would look down from his holy post and smite me.

Obviously you can turn down the bass but, the tone changes slightly. It is still way dynamic and most importantly suitable. But not as aggressive.

I could pad the input amp but, not all of my amps have that option.

Anyone ever swap their pups out? What did you use instead?

AnthonyBrown likes this.
  2. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Yeah, those G&L MFD P-style pickups ARE hot.

I got the opposite problem... now I want to put those in EVERY P-bass I own, cause I miss the frequency range when I pick up a different non-G&L pickup'd bass.

3. father of fires

Nov 29, 2006
    BALTIMORE CITY
    I know what you mean. My back up P is super dull in comparison.

I'll gladly use the MFD if that is the secret ingredient but, my mind wonders sometimes.

4. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    If my amps didn't get along with my SB-2, I know what I'd keep! I freakin' love my SB-2.

I know what you mean though. The hot output can be difficult to manage, and I also like the tone with the volume wide open. If your amps don't have input pads, you could get a pedal that does. The Aphex Punch Factory compressor, for example, has an active/passive button and an output control, so it could be used for this. It's a good compressor and DI too, and costs about the same as a boutique P-bass pickup. I'm sure zillions of other options exist.

If I experienced sudden onset mental illness that compelled me to swap out the MFD, I'd hopefully have the sense to go with an overwound Lindy Fralin. I have a stock wind Fralin in my Fender P, and it has a gritty texture almost like the MFD, and is hotter than a stock Fender pickup.

5. father of fires

Nov 29, 2006
    BALTIMORE CITY
    I was thinking about trying a Fralin.

I've also tried some pedals and I'm looking at some other options. I prefer to have the least amount of connections as possible.

I push the front of my V4BH pretty hard (even when I don't want to) so, I may try a compressor with that.

The SWR400s can handle the hot output (plus it has a built in limiter)

The Acoustic 370 is all distortion (unless I roll back the volume on the bass) but that's a good thing.

6. metron

metron Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    Maybe try lowering the pickup height a bit?

7. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Sir,step away from the bass.

winston, jimmerk and Dash Lashes like this.
  8. father of fires

Nov 29, 2006
    BALTIMORE CITY
    I most likely will not touch it. I just wanted to see if I was alone.

There are too many positives to risk with a swap.

9. tramp

tramp

Mar 5, 2004
    South Louisiana
    I have an 87 SB-1. I changed the pickups to EMG's years ago because I didn't like the tone at the time. I am thinking it was the amps I was using at that point in time. I kept my origional pickups and pots and have wanted to put them back on. I was talked out of that twice by the guitar tech that does my setups. I'm still thinking about putting them back on though to bring my bass back to origional.

10. father of fires

Nov 29, 2006
    BALTIMORE CITY
    Sounds like a plan and you can stop worrying about batteries.

11. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Nope. I've never had that thought.
    You can lower it though.
    I have that pickup in several of my other Pbasses.

12. the thing about that MFD split coil is that it's DESIGNED to be rolled back in volume for more of a traditional P-bass sound. It's not as flexible as an active setup might be, but it sure sounds sweet doing the tricks that it does!

Runlikegregg and waynobass like this.
  13. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Yessir;
    for motown, dial it back some.
    for "kill everyone," leave it open and dig on in.

miles'tone likes this.
  14. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Yeah, I love that pickup...
    Here's my G&L MFD'd others:
    IMG_1345.jpg
    50sPwide.jpg

GroovyBaby and BlueAliceOasis like this.
  15. I had the exact same bass as you, but ended up trading it because I never got used to the neck, too skinny for me, so now I'm looking for one of the older ones with 1⅝ neck.

Anyway, IMO, the MFD pickup IS the bass. If you change to Fralins, you'll no longer have an SB-1, you'll just have a Precision-copy with a slightly different body shape. :D

739137_l.jpg

Runlikegregg and BlueAliceOasis like this.
  16. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    oh yeah...this one:
    sb2again.jpg

GroovyBaby and basslifter like this.
  17. sanfordandsonny

sanfordandsonny

Nov 15, 2006
    Maryland
    El Presidente of Sanford and Sonny Audio Weapons (Bluebeard Fuzz)
    I had I similar situation and I thought long, read many things and talked to others many many times but until i did it I had no idea.
    I was chasing my tail on what should i do and unless there is removal of wood involved DO IT.
    switching out a P pickup is like the easiest thing ever and totally reversable and it will make you appreciate what you have and it never hurts to get another perspective and it stops you from buying unneeded basses (whew never thought i'd use that term)
    and you can also install some quick connects on various pickups if you're adverse to soldering.
    As far as the EMG MFD thing you don't need to remove all the emg bits just run the wire from the pickup out to a pot or straight to a cable and give a look see i don't know why a tech would talk you out of it unless they know you better than you know yourself and he/she is trying to save you some money and frustration.

18. father of fires

Nov 29, 2006
    BALTIMORE CITY
    I did try lowering it once. Obviously that helps some but, I want to have my cake and eat it to.

It may be a bad habit but I like to rest my thumb on my pups.

19. etb67

etb67 Far Out Supporting Member

Oct 12, 2005
    Ohio
    I'm now on my second SB-2. I foolishly sold the first one, and it wasn't long before I realized that I had made a terrible mistake.

That pick-up is incredibly hot, but it never occurred to me to switch it out. Don't think I could bring myself to do it. Instead I experimented with different strings.

With just about any kind of roundwound I had everyone in the band running for cover. So I started checking out flats and half-rounds/ground-rounds. I'm using Labella Quarter Rounds with the pick-up lowered some.

20. father of fires

Nov 29, 2006
    BALTIMORE CITY
    OK. I'll tell my brain to stop.

I don't want to mess up a perfect bass.

G.A.S. man...it's a mother f!@#er.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021