Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G&L SB-1?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brendan, Jul 3, 2002.

1. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I might be able to come by a G&L SB-1 for pretty cheap. 100-150. Sound like a good deal? It's kinda old, and the maple fretboard has some dark brown spots on some of the frets...Which could be the wood, maybe or something, I'm not sure.

Good deal? Not gonna be heatbroken if I don't get the bass, it's just a possible deal is all.

2. I dont know a ton about G&Ls but im pretty sure that under 300 is a STEAL.

3. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I'd definitely snag an SB-1 for $150. I almost bought a really soulful early 80's SB-1 for $475 with OHSC but got a nasty surprise when I took it up to the counter and learned that the doofus store clerk I had talked with on the phone was wrong in his assertion that the shop accepted the Discover card...:mad:

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Hmn...About the brown spots on the maple fretboard...what would cause that? Inherent flaw in the wood? wear? What?

5. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    chocolate sauce? :D

Seriously, maybe they didn't take time to clean some crud off? Maple boards show dirt much more readily than rosewood.

6. Wicca

Wicca

Oct 13, 2001
    Maryland
    Sounds like a great deal. G&L's are wonderful "Hand-Made" insturments.

7. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Brendan.. you needs to buy that there bass boy. That is a great deal. if you don't like it you could probably clean it up and get $300 for it... as long as it plays..:)

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    oh, it plays...it plays well. Hopefully I could pull this off. I might keep it, but selling it back would be a great way to make some money!

9. Hey Brandan,

I had an early SB-1 hat I got in a pawn shop for $150--seemed like a good deal 20 years ago, so I'm sure it's a better deal now!

The dark spot so n the maple board are either stains, in the lacquer, or spots where the lacquer has worn through and the maple underneath has gotten stained with skin oils, etc.

Mike