Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G&L SB-2 Hot Pickups

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by toddtodd, Apr 20, 2005.

1. i have a G&L 95 SB-2 p/j bass
    i mainly use the P pickup.
    why does this bass distort every (pre) amp i plug it into?
    i have lowered the pickup, i have lowered the magnets and it still distorts like no ones busniess.
    i play thru a GK 800rb, and sometimes a older (pre-gibson) Trace combo.
    also when we recorded i pluged it into a vintage SVT and DI into the board.
    both distorted so much i had to use the producers mid 70s pbass (poor me).
    so should i look into getting new pickups or whats the deal here?

-todd

2. danman

danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    Turn it down.

danman

3. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    MFDs are known to be super hot. I just turn down the preamp gain to compensate on my G&L 2500. I would think using an active input on a preamp and by adjusting the preamp gain, you should be able to get something to work.

Dave

4. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I used a stock SB2 from that period and did not encounter that issue. In my case I was using a Demeter VTBP201 and ART Tube Channel pre's, generally direct to my Tascam recorder. The MFD's are hot but not that hot. I think you may be running the gain to high on whatever you are plugging into ...

5. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

No issues with my L-2500, but I do have a passive/active switch on my head that I always have switched to active when I plug the 2500 in...

6. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I agree. I'm having exactly the same issue with my 2004 Am. Ser. P bass, which has a very hot DiMarzio Model P. I need to use the -10 db pad on my GK heads to prevent serious clipping, and last night at a rehearsal studio it was clipping a Hartke amp with the preamp gain set very low. I needed to use the active input, or turn down the volume on the bass.