G&L SB-2 Hot Pickups

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by toddtodd, Apr 20, 2005.

1. i have a G&L 95 SB-2 p/j bass
    i mainly use the P pickup.
    why does this bass distort every (pre) amp i plug it into?
    i have lowered the pickup, i have lowered the magnets and it still distorts like no ones busniess.
    i play thru a GK 800rb, and sometimes a older (pre-gibson) Trace combo.
    also when we recorded i pluged it into a vintage SVT and DI into the board.
    both distorted so much i had to use the producers mid 70s pbass (poor me).
    so should i look into getting new pickups or whats the deal here?

2. danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    Turn it down.

3. DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    MFDs are known to be super hot. I just turn down the preamp gain to compensate on my G&L 2500. I would think using an active input on a preamp and by adjusting the preamp gain, you should be able to get something to work.

4. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I used a stock SB2 from that period and did not encounter that issue. In my case I was using a Demeter VTBP201 and ART Tube Channel pre's, generally direct to my Tascam recorder. The MFD's are hot but not that hot. I think you may be running the gain to high on whatever you are plugging into ...
  5. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

No issues with my L-2500, but I do have a passive/active switch on my head that I always have switched to active when I plug the 2500 in...
  6. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    I agree. I'm having exactly the same issue with my 2004 Am. Ser. P bass, which has a very hot DiMarzio Model P. I need to use the -10 db pad on my GK heads to prevent serious clipping, and last night at a rehearsal studio it was clipping a Hartke amp with the preamp gain set very low. I needed to use the active input, or turn down the volume on the bass.