G&L SB-2 Hot Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by toddtodd, Apr 20, 2005.

1. i have a G&L 95 SB-2 p/j bass
    i mainly use the P pickup.
    why does this bass distort every (pre) amp i plug it into?
    i have lowered the pickup, i have lowered the magnets and it still distorts like no ones busniess.
    i play thru a GK 800rb, and sometimes a older (pre-gibson) Trace combo.
    also when we recorded i pluged it into a vintage SVT and DI into the board.
    both distorted so much i had to use the producers mid 70s pbass (poor me).
    so should i look into getting new pickups or whats the deal here?

2. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I'm by no means an expert, but can you use a low impedance input on any of your heads? Does your G&L have a series/parallel switch? If so, what are you using it in?

Again, I'm just trying to spark some discussion.
  3. the gk has a -16dB button at the imput, but that cuts volume ALOT.
    16 dB seems like alot..dont most amps have maybe -3dB input?
  4. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Liquidating to fund a new business. Buy My Gear!

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    I've got an older SB-1 with an added DiMarzio J. The stock P is quite a bit hotter than the DM J. Try the pad. A 3dB pad wouldn't do a whole lot. Typically they're 10dB.

My old G&L is nearly as hot as my StingRay5, so try padding down the output.
  5. when i do that the amp does not really seem loud enought to keep up with the band
    2x12 at 200 watts 8ohms....
    am i retarded?
  6. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    You might be playing to hard because you can't hear yourself well enough. 200 watts might not be enough in a band setting.

While recording, turn down the volume knob on your bass a bit and play lighter. Those G&L pickups are very hot.

I know that I had trouble with distorting my signal when I first got my ASAT. Adjusting you technique will help. If you play hard, take it down a notch

I would suggest not changing the pickups on a G&L, that's part of their magic. ;)
  7. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    I will also add that if your amp sounds too quiet when using the active input/pad, your amp is not big enough for your needs, IMO.
  8. its -16dB a huge cut from full power?
  9. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    I'm not sure, but when you can't use the padded input on your amp because it's too quiet, that sounds like a overall volume level issue to me.

I know this is almost impossible to achieve, but could you try and get your guitarist(s) to turn down their volume a bit. To me,bands sound better with a balanced volume between all the players.

EDIT: Could you borrow a bigger amp from someone to see if it makes a difference?
  10. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

The MFD P pickup in an SB-2 really puts out a ton of input. As much if not more than many active systems. Just one of the many things I love about my SB-2 :D

I do often run into an active input because of the high output level. And it can easily distort many things that don't have adjustable input gains (I use a BBE Bmax SS preamp that lets me set the input gain to avoid clipping).

I know of one person who removes the springs/padding under the pickup to back it all the way into the cavity. Personally I like the ouput and punch of the pickup in the "normal" position. And I wouldn't swap pickups because nothing else is going to sound the same as the MFD P.