Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G&L SB-2 or Peavey MIllennium?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by notabob, Dec 8, 2003.

1. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    ok, heres my situation. i have never owned a G&L. i have a peavey millennium 5 (USA made version) it has a MM bridge pup and a j neck pup. it has 18 volt electronics. it sounds a lot like a stingray and it is very versatile.. it retailed (before it was discontinued) for $1599. it is in perfect condition. i heard a G&L sb-2 last night and i was breathless. it sounded really good. so, my dillema is...i want an sb-2 but i like my bass. the thing is, i am about to join another band and i think the 5th string will really get in my way. so, do u think id be happy switching from the millennium to the sb-2? has anyone here played the american millennium and can you compare the two basses for me? i guess the main thing im scared of is the build quality. how does the sb-2 compare in terms of build quality? the only way id be able to get an sb-2 would be to trade my millennium, unless i wait a couple of months until after my birthday (february). thanks for whatever help you can give.

[​IMG]

2. I would try to wait till after your birthday.The G&Ls build quality is at least as good as the Peavey's,probably better,but there is no way the G&L will be as versitile as the Millenium.The SB2 is passive with one great sound.Also if you are playing the five now you will miss that B string and have a hard time finding another five later on that will sound and play as well as the Millenium for the money.I have a Millenium 5 just like yours only black and it's my favorite gigging bass.

I'm not putting the G&L down at all,I've played a SB2 and a few other G&Ls and all of them were very good basses.It would be cool to have the SB2 and the Millenium,you'd be set for about anything.I'd try and wait.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Those are pretty apples and oranges.

If you really want a G&L SB2, they are very nicely crafted basses. You already know about the craftsmanship of your Peavey.

If you want to do an even trade, think about it for a few days. You might find yourself missing that low B more than you thought, as well as missing the versatility of a two pickup, three band preamp bass.

4. i have an sb-2 with 2 jazz pickups and i like it a lot but im not sure id take it over a millenium... i just bought a millenium 4 and once it gets here it might be time for me to sell the sb-2

5. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    I've never played an SB-2 but I sure like my Millennium 5. It's a player and extremely nicely built. (The G&L's have a stellar reputation for build quality also.) The USA Millenniums are a well-kept secret. Too bad they didn't sell better!

6. embellisher

Yeah, too bad indeed. I want a Millennium Plus 5 so bad! And having no luck whatsoever finding a used one.:(

7. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    i think i am going to hang on to my millennium for the time being. eventually i would like to own either an sb-2 or an sb-1, but for now, i think im best off with the millennium. it is a very well built bass indeed. maybe ill throw a new jazz pickup in it, then itll growl like i want it to. thanks for helping me come to my senses.

8. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    dang! i was just playin my millennium through my new peavey t-max head and an old rogue 12" speaker. i sweeped the mids back on my bass and i was getting pure lows. just rumble. i had everything shaking, and that couldnt have even been 100 watts. i liked it a lot. there is no way that bass is ever leaving me. it is versatile. very. i knew it was, i had just never opened up to it or expiremented with it enough. killer lows or a nice crisp sound. take it either way, just dont take my millennium.

9. embellisher

Why don't you get a G&L Tribute SB2? Musician's Friend had them for $299 a couple of days ago.

10. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    see, i would have to do a trade because i have no mobey. someone on the dude pit wanted to buy me a new tribute and then trade w/ me, but i wasnt about to trade my millennium for a tribute. i owe my parents money already because i bought a new head. i think im gonna keep checkin local stores for used g&ls, and then i can try one and if i really like it i will trade.

11. JJd2sc

JJd2sc

Jul 31, 2003
    Marietta, Georgia
    I like G&L's over peavey generally, but Ive never played a mlilennium.

12. if i like the millenium 4 i just bought i might be interested in a trade... im not sure youd want mine though because its neck is more like a p than a j

13. I would go for a SB-2 tribute, last I saw musicians friend was selling them for about $300. that is cheap enough so you could save up a little and keep the peavey too. it is ok to have more than one bass :D

14. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    i would only be interested in one of the newerish sb-2s. i want the p pickup, thats why i was interested in the sb-1 as well. i looked at musicians friend a couple of days ago and it appears to me that they are out of the tribute sb-2s. i have no money. again, i am probably just going to wait until guitar center has a used one and then ill try it out and trade in my millennium if i like it a lot. the leader of the worship band im in said that we're gonna be recording our next cd real soon. i wanna see how my millennium does in the studio before i get rid of it.