1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD G&L SB-2 Vintage Blonde USA with Dual Tone Mod - #8 Neck

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Antisyzygy, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Antisyzygy

Antisyzygy

Dec 8, 2014
    Washington
    Price:
    Strings:
    Hey folks,

Up for sale/trade is a G&L SB-2 made in the USA. All original paperwork and case included. Swamp ash body. #8 neck. A 2013-2014 model so it has the six-bolt neck heel.

Bass weighs about 8.8 pounds.

A tone mod was added. The design is the best of both worlds. It has stock SB-2 functionality, or stock SB-1 functionality, as long as you ignore one part of the controls / turn off bridge pickup.

It also has something similar to 1960s Jazz bass wiring, however no loss of output or highs is involved, and the tone pots can be isolated (not interact) optionally.

You can read more about the mod further down.

Here's a pic :

IMG_0191.JPG

Tone Mod Overview :

This G&L has been modified with high quality components to have dual stacked Vol / Tones. The tone knobs are not isolated, however they can be isolated if you roll either volume down 10%, which is a normal thing to do for you SB-2 players.

The neck tone knob wiring scheme is copied exactly from SB-1 schematics, so you have SB-1 functionality in this bass if you leave the bridge pickup off.

Stock SB-2 functionality is available as well if you dime both tone knobs.

You can barely even see that it has tone knobs because the tone controls are black. That was intended.

IMG_2521.JPG

Mod Details :

The pots are Genuine Fender 1960s style concentric pots with Genuine Fender 1960s style concentric Jazz bass knobs. I used Orange Drop caps and cloth push-back wiring, as well as a Switchcraft jack. The resistors are hi-fi audio quality.

IMG_2461.JPG

In addition, I copper-tape shielded the inside of the control cavity. This actually did make the bass quieter overall. I tested it by letting my WiFi router blast my bass while playing it through an amp in a house from 1910 with extremely old wiring. It's quiet.

Condition :

There is a single ding on the bridge, and another you can barely see on the body nearby it. Otherwise I'd say swirling exists on the pickguard and back of body. The back of the body has some superficial scratches you can see in the right light. The bass is in good condition overall.

Sale/Trade Terms :

Asking 900 USD + shipping which is a special TB cash price. Trade value should not be based on cash price necessarily.

Why I'm selling :

It pains me to sell this one, but it didn't make the cut during this downsize / project-changeover I'm doing. My SB-1 did because I like it's neck more (#6).

Trades accepted :

Various. Would really like to trade down for a MIM Fender Classic Lacquer P or J + some cash my way. Or a 5-string, Stingray perhaps.

DI boxes, pro audio interfaces, bass pedals, combo amps, etc.

I'm retooling for a home studio set up so throw some ideas my way.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
    joebar, TDR1138 and Khronic like this.
  2. 6and5

6and5

Oct 31, 2016
    San Diego
    Nice work on the upgrades! I'm in the market for an SB-2 so you might have a sale. Can you tell me how much it weighs with the swamp ash body?

Antisyzygy likes this.
  3. Antisyzygy

Antisyzygy

Dec 8, 2014
    Washington
    I had a question about how the controls work. It's intuitive when you get the idea, but hard to describe without showing someone. Here's my attempt.

Think of each set of stacked knobs are one "tone stack". We have a neck tone stack, and a bridge tone stack. Each tone stack has a volume on top, tone on bottom.

Each tone stack has the following behavior :

Roll down the volume 10% -------> Tone stack becomes isolated
    Put Volume at 100% -------> Tone knob in stack becomes master tone

Volumes always behave like you'd expect. There is never a master volume, although if you're familiar with SB-2s the neck volume is sort of your master volume already by design.

If you have both pickups dimed, you have two master tones and they interact. Many SB-2 players keep their bridge volume around 90% topped-out, so more often than not you'd see the neck tone being your master tone knob. The bridge tone knob is sort of an auxiliary. It works well to control presence, or extreme highs, that are contributed from this pickup being blended in.

On an SB-2 if you roll down volume 10% you barely lose any output, in fact that was the original trick people used to cut highs--Roll neck volume down 10%. In other words, this control feature aligns with how the SB-2 was designed to be used.

The neck tone stack is an exact copy of the SB-1 wiring. If you roll down the bridge volume to 0% this bass is virtually identical in tone and function to an SB-1. The bridge tone stack is similar, however has a capacitor that cuts less highs.

In summary, the design is the best of both worlds. It has stock SB-2 functionality, or stock SB-1 functionality, as long as you ignore one part of the controls / turn it off.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  4. Antisyzygy

Antisyzygy

Dec 8, 2014
    Washington
    I'll get the weight tonight, at the office today on my lunch break!

5. 6and5

6and5

Oct 31, 2016
    San Diego
    Cool, thanks! Will pm with a trade proposal in the meantime.

6. JPaulGeddy

JPaulGeddy

Sep 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    That is a sexy beast. Like you, if it were the #6, I'd be selling a kidney for this thing. I may still. GLWTS!

7. Antisyzygy

Antisyzygy

Dec 8, 2014
    Washington
    Updated the thread with weight : 8.8 lbs

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  8. Woodstock Weav

Woodstock Weav

Dec 21, 2016
    Hi,
    Any interest in a trade on an L2000 USA 4 Blueburst, fretted ebony neck, no markings.
    Mike

9. Antisyzygy

Antisyzygy

Dec 8, 2014
    Washington
    What are the neck dimensions? (Radius, nut width)

I might be able to have something like that defretted is what I was thinking, but the neck would have to be right for it to be worth it. I.e. it's really hard to find the neck I like on many used L2000s.

10. Woodstock Weav

Woodstock Weav

Dec 21, 2016
    The nut is 1.75", I am not sure of the radius but I can measure it if you let me know how. Thx, Mike

11. Antisyzygy

Antisyzygy

Dec 8, 2014
    Washington
    Hey man, I'd have to pass on that. That is the only neck that I can't do because of the girth there. I love L2000s though, neat basses and blueburst is a great color. Thanks for the offer, and I hope you find what you're looking for!

12. Antisyzygy

Antisyzygy

Dec 8, 2014
    Washington
    Added more pics.

Attached Files:

13. Antisyzygy

Antisyzygy

Dec 8, 2014
    Washington
    Opening this up for trades on other basses.

5-strings would be a good start. Acoustic basses as well.

Would prefer a EBMM, G&L, Fender, Sandberg, Lakland, etc.

I'd also take as partial trades :

1) Ampeg BA210v2 combo
    2) Some sort of audio interface, must be 24bit 96khz minimum
    3) Pedals (bass octaver, bass synth)
    4) Sansamp DI
    5) Long shot, but resonators or tenor guitars or both (Gold Tone MBT+)!

Also worth noting if you've previously thrown a trade offer my way for a 5-stringer, it's worth trying again perhaps. I forgot all of the offers I got.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  14. Antisyzygy

Antisyzygy

Dec 8, 2014
    Washington
    Another note :

I will take partial trades, so you can trade up if you have something cheaper (used) and have a bit of cash or something else to sweeten the deal.

I'd be super in to a Fender Classic Series Lacquer bass. Either one with the hard shell case, P preferred though.

Hmm. Other than that, still open to unlined fretless basses, 5-stringers, etc.

Long story short, my SB-1 is the only G&L SB I need. Now that I'm only going to own three basses I'd like each one to be a bit different, or do something different for me.

15. Antisyzygy

Antisyzygy

Dec 8, 2014
    Washington
    PENDING SALE

16. so tuff

so tuff

Sep 10, 2012
    Tacoma, Wa.
    It's mine! Great seller! Haven't spent any time with it yet, but I'm confident it's perfect! Thx.

Antisyzygy likes this.
  17. Antisyzygy

Antisyzygy

Dec 8, 2014
    Washington
    Hey thanks! Pleasure meeting you as well. I'll have to hit up Rocket Music for my plans for that fretless.

I didn't test it before walking out the door (I mean other than I wiped it down and inspected it and stuff) but I played it a week or so ago and it worked!

I uploaded an old recording of it in the mean time, running through a bunch of the dual tone settings :

There's a legend there to let you know what the setting was. See description. I also attached it as a TXT file.

Attached Files:

RocketMusic likes this.
  18. so tuff

so tuff

Sep 10, 2012
    Tacoma, Wa.
    Thanks. Pleasure meeting you also!