G&L SB-2 vs. Fender Deluxe P-Bass Special

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fresnorich, Dec 4, 2003.

1. fresnorich

Sep 17, 2003
    Fresno, CA
    Which would you choose and why?

I like the fact that they are both passive and more versatle than a standard P-bass. I know the Fender is MIM, but it seems to be one of their higher quality products. The SB-2 would be U.S. made (used) or the Tribute model. Which has the best sound/tone and feel/quality?
  2. no4mk1

Feb 21, 2003
    Seattle, WA
  3. fresnorich

Sep 17, 2003
    Fresno, CA
    Been there...done that.
  4. Coward Of Reali

Coward Of Reali

Oct 13, 2003
    I'd go with the Fender. Just change the pickups and its fine.
  5. no4mk1

Feb 21, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    The build quality of the G&L will be superior, and you won't need to change out the pickups.

6. jazzmann23

jazzmann23 Guest

Sep 11, 2002
    Murfreesboro, TN
    The best bass I ever owned was a G&L SB-2, Unfortunatley I had to sell it to pay some bills. Build quality and the pickups sold me as well as better looks than the any comparable Fender. The pickups are also the hottest passives I've ever played and they have a distinctive sound that I really liked. You can find these beauties for around $300-$400 used which will be much cheaper than A P-bass Deluxe by a long shot.
  7. I think that most people who say "go with Fender" have never played a G&L. It's very rare to find a dud among them, since they put a lot of time into QC and craftsmanship. This is the last company Leo Fender put his soul into before passing away, and I think some of his best work came from it. Don't get me wrong though. I like Fender basses (Jazzes mostly), but it's just a whole other level with a G&L.
  8. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I had an SB-1 for a while (I'm not really into the P-J setup). Beautiful bass, nearly flawless construction, excellent playability. But. For me, the MFD pup didn't nail the P tone. Sold it to a guy at the Dudepit who's really diggin' it. Its replacement is a heavy, klunky '78 P with a Duncan SPB-1 pup that sounds much more "classic P" to me.

I'm not sure I'd like the idea of no tone control, either. I use my tone control a lot.

G&L's are fine basses, no question. Just make sure you really like their sound (and a lot of people do) before you get one. Play an SB-2 or two if you haven't, and see if you can get along without a tone control.

OTOH, I've played some MIM Deluxe P's and liked them fine. When I had a JP-90, I replaced the pups with pups from the MIM Deluxe (got a deal), which are much better than the junky pickups in the JP-90. Sounded good to me, if maybe a little quiet.
  9. gbenner

May 20, 2001
    ocean, new jersey
    If you want the quality of G&L and the sound of a Fender P, try the G&L LB100. Its Leo's answer to the P. It nails the tone of a 60's P. Its my main bass and its a killer. If you really want a Fender P, I would look on E-Bay for a Japanese P. The quality far exceeds the MIM's.

10. I second getting a MIJ P. The craftsmanship is generally better than the MIM Ps. Sometimes they even rival the US ones.
  11. Bluz Dude

Bluz Dude

Feb 21, 2011
    Well that post was in 2003. They play well, sound great
    but their finish seems to be flawed materials. All of the
    MIJ Fenders I see have looked at have chipped off and bubbling finishes.

This can be corrected for about $ 300.00 U.S. for a new
    refinished coat.

My made in USA Fender and a MIM Fender from this
    same era (2000ish) still look great. The MIJ Fenders were
    well made, it is to bad the finishes on some of them did
    not stand up after several years.

If you are still playing them after 10 years. Then they
    deserve the price of restoring their defective finish.

Some did not have this defective finish. And still look
    good today. The ones I find for sale are defective.
  12. Spiritfield

Mar 2, 2004

7+ years! This was a "Walking Dead" level of thread resurrection!
  13. Need2KnowBasses

Aug 30, 2010
    G&L would be my choice. I just sold a Tribute SB-2 that was an awesome bass. The guy I sold it to has called me at least twice since buying just to say "Dude this is a really great bass" "I mean I really just can't believe how nice this bass plays for the money".