Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

g&l sb-2 vs. yamaha bb3000

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jedi, Jul 21, 2004.

1. jedi

jedi

Apr 11, 2003
    north texas
    i was curiuos if anyone could draw a comparison between these two basses. new or old sb-2 vs. the yamaha. i'm interested in both basses, but couldn't find anything on the forums like this. thanks a bunch :)
    -kyle

2. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Well I'll say the G&L looks better, besides that I have no idea.

3. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    I think it’s a matter of which SB-2 and which BB3000 yr talking about. Currently G&L has both domestic and import SB-2s with basically the same specs with the import, naturally, being less expensive. Both have had good reviews. I'm partial to G&L and if you dig a jazz-style neck, a powerful PJ pickups and traditional Fender-style construction, then G&L is for you. I say try to score a domestic one used. If no luck, I hear the Tributes (Korean) are great. My only tiffs is that the controls are 2 volumes for both pickups but no tone control. Also the standand Tribute models use basswood for the bodies which may be fine but I'd just assume score a premium model with ash body (more happening tone). The domestic models use alder or ash depending on finish.

Yamaha's BB line goes way back. Currently the BB3000 appears to be the MA (Mike Anthony of Van Halen) signature/reissue model. I think the less expensive Taiwanese model can be bought on the cheap because they may be discontinued (check out Musician's Friend). This bass is likely much like the one Yamaha made in the 80s, chubby body style, PJ set up, maple neck and alder body. Probably a pretty good bass but nothing spectacular.

If you do go with a G&L Tribute, it will likely cost less than the BB3000, have more happening pickups, and it comes with a good gig bag too.

Good luck.

r