1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

g&l sb-2

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jim primate, Nov 23, 2003.

1. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

i've played two sb-2's in my life and they were completely different.

the first one had the standard g&l headtsock w/ the ugly pointy thing going on. but the pickup config. rocked. it had two singles coils and telecaster style controls. one volume and one tone with a 3way switch.

the second one had a sort of fender looking headstock. no weird point, just smooth. but i can't stand the pickup config. 1p, 1j and two volume knobs. no tone, no switch. it sounds good but compared to the first sb-2 i played...(also i hate the p-j pickup layout, that's just me.)

so anyways, can anyone shed some light on these basses. what years, where i can find one like the first one?

2. i think you may have the headstocks mixed up... the 2 j pickups came before the p&j config and the fender looking headstock came before the one with the ugly point... fender sued g&l so they had to change it to what it is now... im not sure about the years or anything... i looked it up a long time ago but i dont remember... check out guitarsbyleo.com for more info