G&L sb-2

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by supernaut, Apr 24, 2004.

1. I am wondering how these basses sound compared to a classic P bass when you solo the bridge pickup. also, if you own one do you miss having a tone knob or not. they seem to be about the best built P/J bass for under a grand. the only other one I was able to find was the fender MIM P deluxe.
  2. i had an older one with 2 j pickups and it did the p sound pretty well with the neck pickup soloed
  3. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    SB-2s are terrific basses with very high build quality and great tone. The P pickup soloed is not the same as a P pickup, but fairly close. I think it's a bit more even, a bit less mid heavy than a typical P pickup.
    I can't do without a tone control so I put a stack pot into my SB-2 that gave me vol/master tone where the neck pickup vol pot used to be, and it's a reversible mod if you ever want to sell.
    The only drawback other than no tone control is the bridge single coil pickup can be noisy, but not any noisier than any other P/J.
    I have an SB-1 (no J pickup, vol/tone) and an SB-2, both are really great basses.