1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

G&L SB-2 ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nitrofix, Aug 6, 2012.

1. nitrofix

nitrofix Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Miami Fl
    Thinking about picking up another bass, I have a G&L Asat and love it. I am considering a SB-2.Now the question I have is they don't a have tone control knob and not sure if I like that. I know you can turn down the bridge pickup for more bass and the other way around for more treble but how much effect does that have on the volume ? I'd like to be able to change the tone without losing any volume. Any input would be great and for you guys with SB-2's tell me a little about them Pro's vs Cons..Thanks guys..

2. velalv

velalv Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2010
    Woodbridge, VA
    If you want a tone knob, get an sb-1 us made. It'll be G&L's take on a precision. They can be special ordered. It'll have one split coil pup, and two knobs. They are about a hundred cheaper than a similarly equipped sb-2. If I get a precision it'll probably be this.

3. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    The "bridge pickup as tone control" on the SB-2 actually works pretty well. The bridge pickup isn't nearly as hot as the neck pickup, so the effect of blending it in has a similar effect to that of a tone knob. Keep in mind that rolling off treble with a standard tone knob does reduce perceived output.

4. nitrofix

Jan 15, 2009
    Miami Fl
    Thanks guys...anyone else ??

5. Keano

Keano

Dec 14, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I've seen quite a few SB-2's around here with the tone mod. Can't say what's involved or what the result is like, though I'm sure someone can chime in on that.

6. I'll represent for the SB-2 and JB-2, owning 2 of the latter, because I don't care for pickguards. The SB-2 is a gig warrior; a passive axe that will never let you down via battery failure. The JB-2 is a J bass on steroids, and, with the right aftermarket pickups, can take you in to P territory, as well.

Passive G&Ls are simply the best passive, American-made instruments out there, in terms of quality, options, and output, and I say this with no disrespect to Carvin, which is the only other American maker of sufficient repute that can even come close.

7. spufman

spufman

Feb 7, 2005
    Central CT
    I agree with RCCollins' assessment. If you leave the P volume in your preferred sweet spot, the J functions kinda like a tone control without significant volume change. To me it's not really a rollon-rolloff highs thing though, it's more a re-shape the curve thing. As a person who normally rolls off the tone knob on passive basses (and the treble on active ones), I have been happy with the stock V-V setup of my SB-2. I always have the J on to at least some degree.

watspan likes this.
  8. NWB

NWB

Apr 30, 2008
    Kirkland, WA
    On my SB-2, I do notice a volume drop when both pickups are turned on full.

If I reduce the bridge pickup volume, the overall volume increases.

A great bass though!

9. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    The stup as is does work fairly well given that you're comfortable making volume changes via right hand technique...which can also do a lot of tone shaping!
    The tone mod involves taking out one volume pot, and replacing with with a volume/tone stacked pot/capacitor, giving you a volume for each pickup, and a global tone pot.

10. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    The split-coil precision type pickup on the SB-2 is a MONSTER. Rolling back the volume on it also gives tonal variation.

11. nitrofix

Jan 15, 2009
    Miami Fl
    Thanks Guys. I think I just might have to get one, I do love G&L's and it would go nice with my Asat....

12. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Yeah, my SB-2 had the tone mod before I bought it. Here's how the stacked knobs look:

SB-2quarter.

The top part of the stacked knob is for the neck pickup volume, while the bottom part is the bridge pickup volume. The knob next to the output jack is the tone knob. Not sure if other configurations are also used, but that's how this one is.

Daniel Piper likes this.
  13. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Ah; that works. I may have had the description sideways-ish...

14. Quackhead

Quackhead

Jan 17, 2012
    Elk Grove, CA
    Zombie thread revival...

I am getting a Tribute SB-2 and would consider getting this done. It's doesn't seem expensive and I know a local luthier who does great work.

15. louloomis

louloomis Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2004
    I've read that G&L does make the SB-2 with the tone mod already in-place. I forget the model designation. Perhaps someone else can validate.

LL