1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

No longer available G&L SB-2s (was 2, now down to 1)

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by craigb, Jan 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

Price:
    Strings:
    Hey Y'all,

My GAS pendulum is swinging back to L-series and simplification. As such I'm interested in selling or trading my US G&L SB-2s for the right L2K. In many ways this move is a throwback move for me - I've gone L2K->SB2->L2K->SB2 many, many times over the years.

gold SB-2:
    - originally ordered new by me through Rocketmusic in 2013, sold, and eventually bought back last year
    - yukon gold over alder
    - rosewood board on satin finished quartersawn #8 neck
    - G&L hard case (tolex, I think but I could find a molded one if you want)
    - 8.9lbs
    - nice shape with one noticeable flaw - a ding in the side of the neck that I never notice when playing
    - stacked master-vol/j-pickup-vol and tone controls
    - tort pickguard

$850

It's very nice or wouldn't have bought it a second time :) I'm just on an L-series kick and would like to swap it out for a US L2K.

Cherryburst SB-2:
    - circa 1990, black crinkle bridge & neckplate (B serial number on neckplate)
    - cherryburst over something with a nice grain (I'd guess alder but the grain does look nice)
    - maple board that has yellowed/aged very nicely
    - 1.5" nut width
    - 8.95lbs
    - molded case with stickers on it (original G&L twist-lock latch case)
    - stacked master-vol/j-pickup-vol and tone controls
    - has some wear on it , not extreme but a well-loved and played bass from the looks of it. Corner of pickguard on screwhole behind jack is cracked but only on one side so far.

$725
    ***SOLD***

No trades at this time unless you want to trade straight up for an engine turned aluminum Reverend Rumblefish PJ ;)

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
    jebmd and bdgotoh like this.
  2. JPaulGeddy

JPaulGeddy

Sep 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    #8... that the 1 1/2" with 12" radius?

3. The #8 neck means a 1.5" nut width and a specific neck profile. Radius is something different. Most G&L's ship with the 9.5 radius. Not sure what this one is though.

4. craigb

Yeah, #8 is 1.5" nut width and 12" radius. It's from before G&L offered 3 nut widths and 2 radii. At that time those of us who like 1.5" nut width only had a choice of #6 (1.5" nut width 7.5" radius) which G&L called "vintage" and #8 (1.5" nut width 12" radius) which G&L called "modern". #5 and #7 were the 1-3/4" versions. At some point in their history they were building necks with 1-5/8" nut width and I've seen plenty of ads where folks measured nut width at 1-11/16".

But this one is 1.5" nut width (a gotta have for me) and 12" radius

JPaulGeddy likes this.
  5. craigb

um, yeah I think I'll hold on to these a while longer :)

thinking about trading one still -- both SB2s are sweet and I have one set up DGCF, but am digging the L2K lately

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  6. craigb

pics of the cherryburst SB2

carsb2-1.JPG

carsb2-1.JPG carsb2-2.JPG carsb2-3.JPG carsb2-4.JPG carsb2-5.JPG

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
    BrentSimons, R&B and rbeck47 like this.
  7. mark286

mark286 Proud to be a Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Central New Jersey
    These are both beautiful basses Craig. Tone mod on the Cherryburst as well?

8. craigb

Yes, stacked master vol/j pickup vol with a tone control on both. Moving one wire can make it stacked P&J vols with tone.

9. mark286

mark286 Proud to be a Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Central New Jersey
    Very nice!!! Makes a great sounding bass even that much more versatile for sure.

10. craigb

I've gotta have a tone control - I like the volume all the way up and have to be able to control the clank. I play too many mellow situations to go without it

11. craigb

latest update is that I really dig both SB2s so I don't care which one goes in trade for an L2K. I'll reload the pics on the gold one when I get home.

I've seen a couple of L2Ks for sale that would work for me so I've put sale prices on them as well.

goldsb2-angle2.JPG

goldsb2-angle2.JPG goldsb2-bodyback.JPG goldsb2-bodyfront.JPG goldsb2-ding2.JPG goldsb2-neckback. goldsb2-neckfront.JPG

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  12. craigb

Looking to sell or trade both. Gonna reduce my number of basses, at least until the Ibanez SRH500s are available to check out.

13. PotsdamBass8

PotsdamBass8 Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Bump for the craigb floor.

I love my SB-2 btw!

14. craigb

Cherryburst ** ON HOLD ** pending approval of some final detail pics

back on the market. I've found the ideal L2K so lets try some price drops to see if things can move quickly:

cherryburst $675

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
    so tuff and dieselman like this.
  15. craigb

Cherryburst ***ON HOLD*** pending payment

back on the market

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  16. craigb

cherryburst is sold - everyone seemed to like that one better, gold less attractive to folks? vintage more attractive? lower cost? Who knows but a local friend bought it so I'll be able to see/hear it played occasionally

I have a great L2K on the way and I no longer need to sell the gold one but would still entertain the idea of letting it go and trading for a US L2K or even selling and simplifying a little more

17. DarnellBass

DarnellBass Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Denver, Colorado
    Pm'd

18. craigb

gold SB2 still available - after living with the L1K&L2K combo I can let go of the SB2