G&L SB2 / JB2

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Assumer, Aug 2, 2003.

1. Assumer

Mar 26, 2003
    Anyone know why the SB2 is less expensive then the JB2? The come with the same neck, same finish, same wood, and both have two pickups. I think there is a two hundred dollar difference.
  2. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

Good question

Only someone at G&L will know for sure. A couple of guesses on my part:

- G&L makes the pickups for the SB-2 and buys the pickups for the JB-2 so that's a bit cheaper?
    - G&L has been making the SB-2 forever and the JB-2 is very recent so any new tooling (jigs for routing the pickups?) needs to be paid for?

You would think the pickguard on the SB-2 is some additional cost that doesn't exist on the JB-2

Because the Jazz-style bass is currently more popular and therefore the market will support a higher price?
  3. Assumer

Mar 26, 2003
    I had not thought about the JB2 being newer. Man it is a tough decision between the two. Thanks for the reply.
  4. you could get the L2000 and have the best of both worlds. I can't really say why the JB2 is more spendy other than the fact that it is newer like craogb said. eather would be a great bass. you just have to decide if you want a J bass or P bass.
  5. Assumer

Mar 26, 2003
    I know how a J sound, but have never really played a P bass. Any paticular recording that sounds like a P bass.
  6. junglebike

junglebike Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Your profile says you used to have an SB1 -- that's a p-bass, right?

P's are the most commonly recorded basses in existance. James Jamerson's got a definitive p-tone, and he's in all the Motown stuff. I love The Funky Meters, too, for good P tone.
  7. Assumer

Mar 26, 2003
    Yes for a very short time, but I cannot even remember what that bass sounded like. It was my first bass and I was trying to figure things out. (I had actually forgotten about that bass)
  8. early sb-1's had only 1 j pickup... early sb-2's had 2 j pickups and a 3 way pickup selector toggle switch... i have an old sb-2 with 2 j pickups and the prelawsuit headstock... I LOVE IT... its a great bass and apparently not a lot of people know about them because they go fairly cheap when you can find one on ebay (they are pretty rare)... ive heard that jazz basses have problems with noise when you solo one pickup... this is not the case with my sb-2... i thought about selling it recently since im getting rid of just about all my gear before i move but i just cant let myself part with it... im keeping it over 4 spectors and a few others... get an older g&l and dont look back... these basses are great players at a great value and they have old school soul
  9. bollefen

Mar 13, 2003
    supernaut said

"you could get the L2000 and have the best of both worlds"

will the dual humbuckers with all the leo electronics really give you the p or j or p/j + sound palate :confused:

someone else thought so too but there was not much support or concurrence on the point.

bill :meh:
  10. Assumer

Mar 26, 2003
    I guess if you buy new, they would put the J neck on the L2000? I love the feel of the #8 neck. Feels a lot like my sterling.