1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

G&L SB2 pickup size ??

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by hamfistUK, Feb 1, 2013.

1. I have a nice tribute SB2. Does anyone know if the neck pickup is standard P pickup size and shape ? Would a precision pickup fit straight in ? Has anyone actually done this ?

Measuring up with a tape it looks close, but maybe the rout is not quite long enough. As I said, it's tight !

And, yes, before a load of you say I won't get any better than the MFD pickup. Well maybe so, then I'll just put it straight back in. I like to tinker though, and wouldn't mind trying out a Model P for example.

2. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

Yes - the MFD P is a standard P size. I haven't swapped anything else into a G&L but I have swapped an MFD P into a Fender HMT and Rondo shortscale with no problems.

3. DrumsAndBass

DrumsAndBass Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    Yes, the model P from Dimarzio is great. I use one too.

4. That's useful to know. Thanks.

I guess it's still a tiny possibility that the G&L pickup is slightly smaller than a standard P, meaning the MFD would fit into a P, but possibly not the other way round ? Anyone else actually fitted a P pickup into their SB2 ??

5. shaboda

shaboda

Apr 14, 2002
    Yes when I tried a dimarzio in my sb2 I had to shave the pickguard just a bit to make it fit. But that was my old 3 bolt model I have since put original pickup back in