1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

G&L SB2 players please help!

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by markandsophie, Apr 2, 2006.

1. Hi i currently use a mm stingray and have a jv p bass. Id like to buy a fender jazz bass. Before i go out and buy and try could the sb2 players tell me a bit more about the sb2?. As it is a combination of the p and J bass pickups does it compare to the jazz bass or is it in between the p and J basses due to pickup configuration?

The body is similar to the p but the neck similar to the jazz. Has anyone compared the sb2 to standard Jazz basses and preferred the sb2?

Does anyone miss there is no tone control on the bass? SB2 players can you give me your thoughts on this bass?

Thank you

mark

2. orlfl

orlfl

Jul 22, 2005
    Orlando
    I have a few jazz basses, but I love my SB2. It is a cross between a P and a J, but on steroids. The pickups are amazingly hot for a passive bass.

I thought I would miss the tone control, bit you can really affect the tone just by mixing the pup volume. Add some J for brightness or some P for bottom. It has become a favorite when I need that kind of bass... above my Lakland Glaub and my Jazz basses for RnR kind of stuff.

I would recommend it to anyone looking for a passive PJ setup.

3. I had no problem with the lack of tone control either...

The SB-2 is high on my list as my go-to bass. :p

4. flash99

flash99

Jun 8, 2005
    New York City
    Why don't you get a JB2 if you want a Jazz bass? The SB2 is a great bass but it isn't really a Jazz.

5. I guess im looking for something in between the p bass and the j bass so i thought id ask people what they think about the sb2. Or other bass guitars that are passive that may suit. Ideally id like a passive bass that does both p bass and jazz bass like the stuart hamm model (although active). Plus here in Australia my bass choice is limited. Im too tight to buy new basses here as the prices are sky high. Anyway sb2 players keep your thoughts coming. Thank you

6. To me the SB-2 is a bass unto itself. Not a P, not a jazz, it's just a......SB-2. For that matter, it's not like your average PJ either. I don't think there's another bass quite like it, given the control layout and distinct difference between pups.

The bridge pup does a great job enhancing the main MFD, but does'nt do much alone. That's okay cos it is'nt meant to do much.

One of mine has the stacked tone control added to it. I would'nt miss it if it was'nt there, tho.

A power house of a bass, but not a Swiss Army Knife like a L2K, that's for sure. Won't be easy to make it sound like a traditional jazz bass either IMO.

Dricoman likes this.
  7. I played a few but I really cannot handle Volume Volume set ups. I would have prefered Volume Blend. It was enough of a negative to force me to buy a SB1 instead and I couldn't be happier. If the SB2 came in V/B or even better V/B/Tone I would have been all over it. The two volumes made it a bit to touchy for me and I could forseee it being a problem live.

Just my 2cents.

The neck and action were just as amazing as every other G&L i have been lucky enough to play.

8. Just noticed you were from Australia? What city?

9. from melbourne

10. Aw ok, there are are couple of Used SB2's floating round the traps in Sydney at the moment, at pretty good prices too.

11. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    I've tried both the US and Tribby SB-2s and was quite impressed with both. I also agree that there's something more to that bass than just a J&P hybrid; it has its on thing going for sure. However my only beef with that bass is the lack of a tone control, which I actually use on my ASAT and SB-1 basses. I think the SB-2 with either a concentric rear knob for J pickup vol & master tone OR front knob blend control and rear knob for master tone is the way to go. I doubt this mod costs but so much. With it, you have an excellent bass with even more tonal flexibility.

r

12. Thanks for the responses, much appreciated

13. What prices are the SB2 basses going for in Sydney 2nd hand??

Thanks

14. rbrown13

rbrown13 supporting member

Sep 9, 2005
    bakersfield ca,
    I just picked an SB-2, and it is my goto bass, and if a tone control is an issue, if you look in this thread you will find a really easy mod, It's a concentric stacked pot and a tone pot with a .47mf cap.

15. quickervicar

quickervicar Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Lancaster, PA
    I had considered going to a tone pot until I spent more time with the bass. I can get a huge variety of tones using just the two volume pots. Here's what works for mine:

N-10 B-0 = P-bass with tone @ 10 (bassy & blooming)

N-8 B-0 = P-bass with tone @ 3 (warm thud)

N-10 B-8 = the SB-2 (punchy, thick & crunchy)

N-10 B-10 = J-bass with N + B + tone @ 10 (clear, punchy & bright)

Spend time with an SB-2 & you'll find that it will get you through any gig. Not a monster like my ASAT, but it is my favorite bass. Hard to explain but it is just so right in so many ways.

Dricoman and eff-clef like this.
  16. saxofunk

saxofunk

Jul 25, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Agreed. I've had my SB-2 for about 6 months. Usually I don't use the bridge pickup, when I turn it up it's less than 50%. I have adjusted the pickup height overall and the individual poles without ever being totaly satisfied with the pickup soloed. It adds nice flavor, though.

I don't miss the lack of seperate tone control. I depend on my amp, and generally set it and forget it. If/when I start gigging with multiple basses I intend to invest in a Bassbone or similar effect that allows me to switch inputs and adjust for each instrument.

17. truckin88

truckin88

Oct 18, 2001
    Newburgh, NY
    there are like 3 different variations of SB-2's right, SB-2 was the JB-2 was the Lynx, etc.

18. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    Not quite the original dual single coil SB-2 was a slab body and was then given body contours and called the Lynx. The SB-2 went to the P/J config.

The JB-2 came out like 8 years later and does not have MFD pickups. It is the only current G&L bass without them.

Jim

19. So, does the bridge pickup on the SB-2 not sound like a typical Jazz bridge pickup? It would be great if some of you owners could post a sound clip of your SB-2 showing the different pickup combinations.

20. saxofunk

saxofunk

Jul 25, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    This discussion inspired me to revisit my simple V-V controls and think beyond my usual all or none approach. Quickervicar has it right - with the right balance of volume on each pickup there are a lot of sounds to be had. (thanks for the handy chart!)

It's time to put on a couple chicken head knobs and paint dots on the pickguard for reference. :eyebrow: JK!

As far as a blend knob goes, I hope y'all really mean dual volume control, not pan. I certainly wouldn't want anything less than 0-100% control on each pickup. A typical pan control (100-50/50-100) would eliminate a bunch of usable tones. IMHO it would also eliminate some of the character of the SB-2. An additional tone control would be useful, but with a bit of volume tweeking makes enough difference in tone to get by.

Just my.02.