1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

G&L SB2 Tribute vs. L2000 Tribute

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by skaelin, Aug 2, 2007.

1. skaelin

skaelin

May 24, 2007
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Hi,

I've been lurking around this forum for months -- this site is great -- and I finally have a question. I did a search but none of the results really matched what I was looking for.

I have a G&L SB2 Tribute that I like quite a bit but I am interested in the Tribute L2000. Has anybody compared these two basses?

I know that the L2000 has more choice of tone options but I'm hoping just to get someone's impressions between the two.

Where I live now, I don't have a dealer so any feedback in much appreciated.

Thanks much!

2. Earwigger

Earwigger I'm a Roland man now.

Aug 23, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I've got the Tribute 2500 and I couldn't be happier with it. Yes, the neck is rather thick (and the 2000 is as well) but the tone(s) are just amazing. The electronics and options are killer.

3. mfpbassplayeroh

mfpbassplayeroh

Aug 3, 2007
    i have an L2000 tribute and its like wow...
    it is the best bass that i have used ever, and i have ised fenders, ibanez, warwick, etc.
    buy the L2000 tribute, just buy it.

4. skaelin

skaelin

May 24, 2007
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Thanks guys. Anybody else?

5. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    They're really not "comparable."
    The SB2 is more like a juiced up P bass, with a Jazz width neck. No tone controls, just vol/vol. You dial the J pup at the bridge in and out for tone control. It's passive 2 single coil pups.
    The L2000 has a chunkier neck, two humbuckers, and a preamp. Kinda like an HH StingRay, but definately it's own beast. Lot's of tones in there, and passive mode works reall well too.
    For what these sell for, you could buy one of each, new, for the price of a new USA made L2000.

6. GaryLC

GaryLC

Apr 6, 2006
    Scotia, NY
    I think the L2000 is to the G&L line, what the Jaguar is to the Fender line....kind of a "hybrid"...

7. skaelin

skaelin

May 24, 2007
    Santa Cruz, CA
    I'm sure this is a good analogy but I'm not sure sure what the Jaguar is to the Fender line. I've never heard a Jaguar.

8. Yer lucky, 'cause if you hear one, you're dead!

L2000's are just awesome basses. Mine is a non-tribute, but I've played the tributes as well--I didn't see/hear a huge difference, so, I'd say the Tribute L2000s are probably one of, if not the, best values to be had in basses.

9. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I have Tribbie L2K and it's a great bass, particularly for the dough. I'll add a Tribbie SB-2 when I can - the SB-2 is a very useful passive bass. More of a P on steroids than a PJ. The J is overmatched output wise and is only functional as a tone shaper. That isn't a criticism of the setup. The SB-2 is a different animal from the typical PJ is all.

10. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    The L-2000 is G&L's flagship bass having remained in the line up since '81. It was the second bass Leo came out with after the L-1000. The Jaguar isn't Fenders main axe. If anything, business wise, the L2K is to G&L like the Stingray is to EBMM.

There are things each do a bit better than the other but the 2K can do far more overall.

I can get my favorite SB-2 sound from my 2K with a little tweaking.

I'd take this bad boy to cover anything, well provided roundwounds are OK.

Jim
    LE009.

kkaarrll likes this.
  11. skaelin

skaelin

May 24, 2007
    Santa Cruz, CA
    This is exactly what I wanted to know. I have both a Fender P-bass and SB2 Tribute and I find myself gravitating to the SB2 95% of the time. It has more upper frequency sparkle, more grunt, and just more balls than the P-bass. The SB2 is a great bass for popping and slapping too, much better IMHO than the P-bass. That's something I would not want to give up if I end up buying the Trib L2K. My funds are limited right now (as I just recently purchased a Fender Mustang bass) so it's going to be one bass or the other. If the L2K Trib can cover the things that the SB2 can do and then add additional tone options then it seems like a no-brainer to me.

Thanks again for all the responses: you guys/girls(?) are great.

12. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    I have a Tribute SB-2 and a Tribute L-2500. The L-2500 is definitely the more versatile instrument, but the SB-2 has a thick, warm, juiced-up P sound that I can't quite seem to get out of the L-2500. I hear you can get a more convincing P sound out of these basses by adjusting the pole pieces on the neck pup, but I haven't tried it.

The bottom line is: If you want to get several useable tones go with the L2k, but the SB-2 is the best sounding P I have ever played.

13. eff-clef

eff-clef Supporting Member

May 6, 2007
    Baltimore,Md.
    Hey Chef , I hate to contradict you but the Sb-2 doesn't have two single coils. It has a single coil at the bridge and a P- style pickup in the middle. Precision pickups are humbucking/hum canceling. Also I would like to know if the new SB-2 basses are any good.