Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by barroso, Jul 24, 2002.

1. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Here in italy the SB is not so often seen. to be honest i have never seen one in person. i like a lot the P+J concept but i would like to know more about this bass expecially about the controls. it has 2 volume and no tone. is this not limiting the tonal palette of this instrument?

how much are there new in the usa?

and how much for a used one?

thanks a lot
  2. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

I personally don't find it limiting, but then again on a P-style bass I don't turn the tone down. I want the clarity. I've heard it recently (from Ampig on the Dudepit) that Leo designed it to be like a jazz bass in a way in that you control the tonality by the level on the bridge pickup instead of having a tone control.

I've had 3 of them (I'm getting one back) and they all ran me roughly $380-450 plus shipping (they varied in condition - the $450 one's were in very nice shape and the $380 one was fairly rough).

Brand new it looks like they can be had, street price, for a bit over $700. But one thing to note is that now they come standard with a #7 neck (1-3/4" wide nut) instead of the #6 (1-1/2" wide nut) that they used to. So there would a an upcharge to get the narrow neck with a brand new one.