1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

G&L SB2

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by barroso, Jul 24, 2002.

1. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    Here in italy the SB is not so often seen. to be honest i have never seen one in person. i like a lot the P+J concept but i would like to know more about this bass expecially about the controls. it has 2 volume and no tone. is this not limiting the tonal palette of this instrument?

how much are there new in the usa?

and how much for a used one?

thanks a lot

2. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

I personally don't find it limiting, but then again on a P-style bass I don't turn the tone down. I want the clarity. I've heard it recently (from Ampig on the Dudepit) that Leo designed it to be like a jazz bass in a way in that you control the tonality by the level on the bridge pickup instead of having a tone control.

I've had 3 of them (I'm getting one back) and they all ran me roughly $380-450 plus shipping (they varied in condition - the $450 one's were in very nice shape and the $380 one was fairly rough).

Brand new it looks like they can be had, street price, for a bit over $700. But one thing to note is that now they come standard with a #7 neck (1-3/4" wide nut) instead of the #6 (1-1/2" wide nut) that they used to. So there would a an upcharge to get the narrow neck with a brand new one.