Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G&L tone vs. Wal tone

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by slowburnaz, Nov 25, 2002.

1. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    I've heard many people say that G&L L2000 & L2500 sound quite similar to Wal basses. What's your take on this? Agree, disagree?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Huh?

G&L and Musicman, ok

But G&L and Wal? They're too different IMO.

3. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I don't think they're that far off. The pickup placement is a bit different, I think Wals have a tighter sound, G&Ls have more thump.

4. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    depends on the body woods, etc.
    Wals do have a very unique sound, but my mahogany L2000 is distantly similar. The G&L's don't have the pick attack of Wals and they are a little more "vintage" sounding, but they can probbaly be the closest non-wal bass to sound like a wal

5. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    Actually I don't really think G&L's sound much like a wal but a DR heartfield does. Not that the DR is anywhere close to the bass a wal is, but the electronic setup has some of the same characteristic's.

6. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    That's true - even if the basic tone of a G&L is close to a Wal (which is still disputable, I certainly don't know well enough to be too adamant about it), the electronics are totally different. So the Wal will always be able to get sounds you can't get from the G&L (and, I suppose, vice-versa).