Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G&L "Tri Tone" electronics

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by pickles, Dec 29, 2005.

1. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I just picked up an L2500 which I think is a great bass, but I think the electronics are bizzare.

Does anyone actually use the bass cut knob or active + hi boost setting? I just can't understand the idea behind this layout.

2. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I had an L2K a few months ago and I NEVER used the bass cut or the treble boost. I don't understand it either, but then again, I didn't understand how people could play with the bass and treble full up, with the active + treble boost :)

3. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    All of my favorite sounds so far are passive mode with the tone controls both full up.

4. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Lots of people use them. I tend to have my bass on about "8" on my L2000.

5. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I'm just curious about why and with what other settings. Seems to me the bass cut acts an awful lot like a volume cut :meh:

6. Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii

Why? I like the sound of it, why else? I use it with neck pickup, passive, bass on 8, treble adjusted depending on song.

7. I have an L1500 and never use the active preamp. Too hissy and clanky.

Yes indeed, those tone controls are plain weird. In passive mode, there is no "boost" only cut. I just treat the L1500 as a weird animal and set the controls where I mostly want them. Never have been able to get a classic Tone At Zero sound like I get from my P-bass.

I've often thought about replacing the entire tone circuit with something similar to a Sterling, or something else. Mostly, I leave everything all the way up, cuz I want the grind.

8. Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
  9. I tend to leave Single-Coil switched on most of the time, and the active plus treb boost mode actually gets some use, I find that it "mellows" things out a little bit when needed. The bass cut, not so much. It really depends on the situation and the coil/pickup configuration... i'm not averse to either of these controls.

10. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I don't know if the G&L preamp has changed at all since Leo Fender designed it, but when G&L basses first came out (around 1980), hi-fi bass amplification as we know it didn't exist. When I started playing bass in the early/mid 80's, 15" and 18" speakers were the norm (aside from the SVT 8x10), boomy folded-horn cabinets were common, and tweeters in bass cabs were but a glimmer in Steve Rabe's eye. Things started to change with the Gallien-Krueger brought out amps with low cut, mid contour, and high-boost filters.

My first amp (Peavey TKO 65 with 15" speaker) was honky, woofy, slow, dark, and muddy, pretty typical of the budget combos of the day. Bass cut/active high boost controls on the G&L make a lot of sense for the amps that were common when the circuit was designed. I had a G&L Legacy Strat-style guitar and found the bass-cut circuit very useful. Just my $.02.

11. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Winston ... that makes perfect sense, thanks!