Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G&L: Tribolt or hexabolt?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by artistanbul, Jan 25, 2004.

Three bolt or six bolt?

Poll closed Feb 24, 2004.
  1. Three because older ones are that way.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Six because newer ones are that way.

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Three because...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Six because...

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  5. I dont really care as long as its G&L...

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    Turkey-Istanbul
    Which would you prefer and why please..

2. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

I've had several-to-many of each and both are functionally excellent. I've never used the micro-tilt adjustment that you get with the 3-bolt so I voted that it doesn't matter.

I have read some opinions that using the micro-tilt can cause the "ski slope" problem but don't see how it would be significantly different than shimming the neck.

3. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I've ownwd both and it really doesn't matter. I recently checked with G&L about the micro tilt adjustment. Having it backed off so it does nothing so that the neck sits in the pocket normally is the factory setting. I think they have recently discontinued the micro tilt on some if not all models because most folks screw up their setup by using it. The set up on the L2500 that I recently purchased had been wacked out of shape(IMO). I took the neck off and backed the neck tilt so it did nothing, loosened the truss rod a bit, lowered the strings a little and now it's a smooth playing great sounding bass.

4. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    btw My L2500 is an early one '95 that has the 6 bolt plus the neck tilt

5. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    As long as it's a G&L...:D