Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G&L Tribute 5 vs Music Man SUB 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dgce, Apr 16, 2004.

1. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    I've never tried the Music Man SUBs but I've checked out the G&L Tributes and was impressed.

The G&L Tributes 5s go for around $550 with gig bag. The SUBs for about $100 more without case. I lean more towards the G&L because I love the domestic models and more so they have far more tonal variety than the single humbucker SUB. On the other hand the SUB is US made while the Tributes are imported from Korea. However bottom line its about how well they look, play, and sound.

Has anyone tried both these models side by side? What's the scoop?

Thanks!

2. I have tried both and, although i don't know alot about either, I would pick the Tribute over the SUB any day. For me it was much more comfortable to play, looked nicer, and offered way more tone variation. I am actually strongly picking up an L200 and an L2500 as soon as i get some cash (and do some more research).

3. I have played both, and liked things about either. The S.U.B I tried had an awesome b string on it, way better than the tribute I tried. Although the G&L did have more tonal variety, except the b string was lacking somewhat (floppy). Its a tough choice, I just bit the bullet and got me a stingray. One thing that may be a big factor is the neck. The sub has a thicker neck compared to the g&l. B strings also vary from bass to bass, so in my case I think I just got a really good sub, and an average tribute. If the tribute had a b string as good as the sub, I would take the tribute.

4. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Nick man has an American G&L 2500 that's he's selling (in the TB classifieds) for a damn good price. You might want to check that out.

5. coop

coop

Jun 22, 2002
    Oklahoma
    Another vote for the Tribute here. In fact I bought a Tribute L-2500 about 6 months or so ago. In all fairness however the SUBS I tried were at GC, so they had suffered the usual abuse, needed new strings/setup etc.

Both are pretty high on my "Bang-for-the-buck" list.