Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G&L Tribute: ash vs basswood

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dgce, May 3, 2004.

1. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    And I thought I'd exhausted my G&L Tribute questions. Well, here's another...

I think its safe to say that tonally, the G&L Tribute Premium models (now made with 2 piece ash bodies) are likely superior to standard and Plus models (basswood). Now as petty and silly as this sounds, I'm very partial to gloss, black finished basses with maple boards. These specs I like are available in the standard models (basswood) but I'd really prefer ash. So my question is, is there THAT much of a difference tonally between the ash and basswood model G&L Tributes? Has anyone tried these different models back to back? Oh, and if it makes any difference, I'm interested in the 5 string models. Again, I understand the ash will likely always sound better than basswood BUT if the difference is only very subtle, then hell, I'll take the basswood, get the color I want and save a few bucks to boot!

Thanks people.

Ron

2. mangle

mangle

Dec 17, 2001
    Guayaquil, ECUADOR
    hi! I have a g&l tribute sb2, basswood body, rosewood board, and I have to say it's very different, compared to other basses made of basswood that I 've tried.... In my bass, the body feels very solid, sounds very bright...I was surprised, the body is not light at all in my sb2...so I don't know what kind of basswood they use, but feels as good as a tribute L2500 that I tried... so I say go for it

3. mangle

mangle

Dec 17, 2001
    Guayaquil, ECUADOR
    :D ops j'ai oublié...I forgot to say the L2500 was a premium model, made of ash...

4. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    For what its worth every bass I own is an ash body; I like the snap it gets ya. Played a G&L with an ash body and loved it.I dont think you can go wrong with those in terms of bang for your buck. I played a Tribute model through my SVT and got all kinds of killer tones out of it. The knobs are confusing but other then that I think they are a great value for the money.
    It might take you awhile to dial in a tone but once you do I am sure it will cut through the mix. Go for the maple neck to IMHO. It will be a funk machine!!! :bassist: