Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G&L Tribute Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jimbob, Oct 11, 2004.

1. jimbob

jimbob

Dec 26, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    Endorsing Artist: Acoustica Mixcraft; Endorsing Artist: DR Strings
    I've been pretty busy with gigs lately and I am looking for a $500 "Bargian" as my jazz is looking tired.

I just left a local Dealer who just got in the G&L Tribute line. They just received them and are waiting on the invoice before they give me a price but it looked and played great.

I'm looking for some feedback on people who own this bass (4 string)...has it been reliable? Any problems? Would you buy another? About what did you pay?

I tried to search it on the boards but didn't find exactly what I was looking for.

2. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Hi Jim, I have a Tribute L-2500 5 String. Deluxe Ash, Rosewood FB. I paid about $525 for mine. It has been a wonderful bass. Very versatile and I think one of the best values out there on the market at that Price point. Has a great Jazz / Fender Vibe and sits in the mix wonderfully. Great mids, nice clear top end. Good lows. It has been very stable and a great bass. - Gary

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I have played about 8 of them, and I have yet to come across a bad one.

4. csholtmeier

csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    I have owned a Tribute SB-2 for about 8 months now and I'm having a very hard time finding a better instrument. The Tribute line is supposed to be "budget" but I keep coming back to it because it does everything just right. Excellent playability, gorgeous finish and great tone, all in a $400 instrument.

5. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Fantastic instruments I've loved every G&L Tribute I've played although I have found some with Translucent finishes look a bit iffy due to the grain of the wood, but I find this is the same sotry with most basses you can see the grain on.

I would buy a G&L Tribute in a solid colour with out even trying it, they are consitant and fantastic, you'll be hard pressed to find a bad one.

Hope this helps

6. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I love mine, but to be honest have found quality control really lacking. Two of the ones I saw in the store had minor cracks in the finish - the one I bought didn't, but developed one (for no apparent reason - I don't remember banging it at all). I found one in the store without the crack and the preamp didn't work. Also the pots got scratchy over time and could not be blown out - had to be replaced.

Other than that, though I REALLY like mine (maybe you'd have better luck than me or perhaps some things have improved). Lots of great tones to be had...

7. jimbob

jimbob

Dec 26, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    Endorsing Artist: Acoustica Mixcraft; Endorsing Artist: DR Strings
    Thanks Guys! The dude from the store called me back and I'm looking at $530 plus tax...With gig bag...This is one of the Black ones - The standard model...Seem's high to me...what do you think?

8. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I have a good relationship with my local Music store and did better than that on my 5 string Tribute Deluxe. Is the Tribute you are considering a 4 or 5? Is the price the same? I would think the 4 string should be a little cheaper. If so, see if you can get a good set of strings that would add value to your deal.

9. As mentioned above, which model ?

10. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    $530 seems like a good price for a Standard Tribute. Some people at other stores may get better deals, but every store is different. Your local dealer may have to charge what he charges to stay in business. It does no good to sell cheap if you end up bankrupt. I suggest supporting a local dealer if he is a good guy that will help you out.