1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

G&L tribute headstock too light colored. Can use anything like oil to make it darker?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bpclay1, Oct 1, 2017.

1. bpclay1

bpclay1

Jul 3, 2014
    It's a run of the mill g&l tribute. Like squier affinitys, the wood is very... white. It's really not got much tone or color at all. I'm wondering if i can treat it with anything very minor, that might make it a little more yellow? I really like the way the old fenders turn yellow... i assume g&l tributes don't use similar wood finishes that will eventually yellow out? I'm just hoping when i change the strings, i could rub it with lemon oil or old English or something every once in a while? 20170917_113740.jpg

wmmj and bonin in the boneyard like this.
  2. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Never saw one with 3 pickups...especially since most of the SB-2s have a volume control for the top pickup and one for the bottom.
    How is yours set up?

As to your question, you might consider a matching skin or a black one.
    I will be interested too see what you fo, though.
    I once considered staining a G&L headstock.

3. bpclay1

bpclay1

Jul 3, 2014
    I added the third pup, wired in series to the original p.

By matching skin do you mean painted red? Or black?

4. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

If you'd like the headstock darker for your own enjoyment, by all means go for it. If you're worried about what anyone else thinks (meaning bass people), they'll be way too distracted by the pickup layout to even notice the headstock tint.

Fangry, Aqualung60, jmlee and 2 others like this.
  5. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    wmmj likes this.
  6. bpclay1

bpclay1

Jul 3, 2014
    I think it's mostly a personal sadness that it'll never turn yellow like the old fenders...

bobba66 likes this.
  7. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I've got the typical vanilla Tribute 'stock as well, maybe just a tad more roasty than some others, and want to match it with a spray tint coat to the honey finish on it's nat. ash body, plus make the maple fretboard stand out more in slight contrast. but concerns regarding survival of the decal / logo in the process dampened my enthusiasm and rubbing stuff on could be as (if at all) detrimental, while a search didn't provide enuf answers. looking forward to any enlightenment!

8. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

But it will! There's plenty of 2001 era MIM P's and J's floating around with slightly darker wood than when they first left the GC floor. Belieb me.

TN WOODMAN likes this.
  9. bpclay1

bpclay1

Jul 3, 2014
    Hmm, maybe it's worth an email to g&l... though i haven't had much luck with them before

10. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    What you need is time. I have a Fender MIA P that I bought new in 2015 that was like that, but it is yellowing nicely now. Not as dark as my older basses, but not the bright white it started as. Now I'm waiting to see if my new Lakland 44-64 will do the same. I think it will. I do leave them on stands all the time, but not in direct sun.

11. Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Give it time, it might.

12. bpclay1

bpclay1

Jul 3, 2014
    This is definitely the best solution, if it will indeed discolor

13. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Get a metal box with a lid. Cut a hole in said box that will allow you to slide the head in there. Put an ashtray in the box. Once a day, stick the head in there, light up a smoke, set in on the ashtray and close the lid. A few weeks in and it will be a very natural yellowed color. Then set the bass out in the fees air for an hour a day for a few more weeks (weather permitting). The smell will go away leaving the tint.

Ask me how I know. Back in the 80s, mine all got like that from bar smoke (which, by the way, was a major contributor to a lot of aged vintage basses in my view).

Once the bans took affect, I set my gear out in the fresh air as often as I could. In a few weeks the smell even left my case fur. But the yellowing was still there.

Short version: nocotine.

pjbassist, Glazenn, shodan and 5 others like this.
  14. I heard a light coat of brown shoe polish applied then quickly buffed off will work but I would n't try it and accept it to age over time. Pickup setup is impressive.

15. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
  16. Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I remember opening my sealed rack case the day after a gig and smelling the cigarette smoke inside.

Aqualung60, Lvjoebass and two fingers like this.
  17. bpclay1

bpclay1

Jul 3, 2014
    gebass6 likes this.
  18. MIMike

MIMike

Jan 1, 2013
    West MI
    I think a better camera would improve the look of your headstock.

19. BassUrges

BassUrges

Mar 14, 2016
    Denver
    UV exposure?

The Skin Your Skunk people are really nice, they did a couple for my MIM headstocks.

jd56hawk and C_Becker like this.
  20. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Birchwood Casey Tru-oil Gunstock finish has a nice subtle amber color, a few coats of that would look nice.
    Also this:
    Tinted Clear Coat Aerosol