Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G & L Tribute...How good are they?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pickslide, Feb 4, 2006.

1. Pickslide

Pickslide

Oct 29, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Was in GC last night to pick up a new set of strings, found a Tribute hanging on the wall. Since I did not have much time to closely check it out since I stopped on the way to pick my son up, I am curious about these now.

Since the local rocking teen combo was in the store checking out amps, it was even difficult to think about much, other than getting my strings & getting the hell out of Dodge.

As I understand, they are foreign made, but with USA parts. Would this be the the G & L equivalent of a Fender MIM product?

Thanks for any info y'all can help me with.

Raymond

2. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I owned an L-2500 Tribby briefly...too hot for me but it was constructed very well. All the hardware was sturdy and functional. There were PLENTY of tones that could be coaxed out of it. For the money I'd say they are great....I just didn't get on with the high output of the pickups.
    -Bazz-

3. They are foreign made with American Pickups.

And the quality is much much MUCH higher than a Fender MIM

I have a Tribute L2000 and I love everything about it. It has a great tone, a great construction. The neck feels like silk. The quality is amazing, and I prefer it to a LOT of higher end basses that I've played. I see no reason why I will ever part with this bass. "It's the tops baby"

I'll include a picture because I like showing it off
    :)
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v381/Pandalicker/DSC01016.jpg

4. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

I have NEVER heard anything bad about the 2000/2500 Tribbys. (Distant cousins to the Ibbys, Stammies, Yammies, and Steinies -- but that's another thread! :D )

They are tone monsters from a versatility standpoint -- you have a ton of flexibility with these basses!

I have played a couple in music stores and while I didn't really "connect" with them (that's wildly subjective, I know), they were obviously of good quality and construction with an excellent sound.

From everything I've heard, you could do a LOT worse -- especially at that price point.