1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

G&L Tribute JB-2 Pickups

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dcgoodwin2112, Mar 22, 2013.

1. dcgoodwin2112

dcgoodwin2112 Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Last December I snagged a G&L JB-2 tribute off of Hello Music for $329. The price was too good to pass up. Overall it feels good and seems well built. It has some minor cosmetic flaws in the finish which doesn't bother me considering how much I paid for it, but the pickups are driving me crazy. They do have a very clear and precise tone, but the low end is a bit lacking. The padding on the back is very flimsy and the pickups move around quite a bit when I'm bracing my thumb on them. They also make occasional clicking noises if the poles are touched while playing.

The pickups are same size, so I'm not sure if I'd even be able to replace them without having to get the rear one routed. Has anyone here had a similar experience with eh JB-2 or done a pickup replacement on one before?

Thanks in advance.

[​IMG]

2. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I'll bump this. I received a G&L JB-2 Tribute from my wife. Super good deal and a really nice bass - especially for the price she paid. I mostly like the sound. I have TI flats on it as it's my "jazz gig" and "acoustic" bass.

I'm thinking that the pickups are probably the "weak link" so I may replace them. I don't want to go crazy modding this bass as a new set of pups will be almost as much as she paid for the bass. She got it new on a closeout sale for $265.

I believe they are the same length. Haven't measured yet. I've always like DiMarzzio in my jazz basses, but Carey's pups get a lot of love.