G&L Tribute JB-2/SB-2 v. Fender MIA Jazz/P/J?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RacingBeat, Jan 21, 2005.

1. Hi!
    I was wondering how you would compare a Tribute JB-2 or SB-2 to a Fender MIA Jazz or P/J?

Also, how would a USA JB-2/SB-2 compare to the higher end ones (RIs)

2. anyone have experience with these basses?
  3. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    I've played the real G&L original version and they are great. The tributes are incredibly close on all lines from what I understand, but I cannot say from experience. I have a MIM J which is okay for the money (much better for themoney if you buy used as I did).

FYI, G&L discontinued the SB Tributes.
  4. The JB-2 tribute was also discontinued...

I have no experience with the models you mentioned, but I do have the US JB-2 and US SB-2. Never tried the Fender P/J or a reissue.

I will say build quality between the two manufacturers are different. The G&L's are better made based on all the Fenders I've seen.
  5. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

Not only are the Tribute JB-2s discontinued, they were never a production model. Only 12 were made. Last time I looked one was still available at BassNW and one was available used from another place I found on the web (can't remember where).

I've had lots of US G&Ls (L2K, L1.5K, SB-2, Climax, ASAT, LB-100) and a couple of US Fenders (P Deluxe, Std P). I've tried a Tribute L2K one time (basswood body).

The big differences between the Tribute L2K and a US L2K (I had one at the time I tried the Tribute) were in the intangible area. The US one just feels better, was more resonant and sounded livelier (some of that could have been ash body vs. basswood body). There are also the feature differences (bridge, tuners, neck construction).

I put US G&Ls in the same "bucket" of quality with Musicman basses (which are maybe a touch better IMO) and US Fenders. So personally I would select a US Fender over a Tribute G&L.

But I'd pick a US G&L over a US Fender (again it comes down to personal preference).

I've never tried any of the Fender Reissues so I can't really speak to those.

If it's a cost issue then I'd say go with a used US G&L - unbeatable value. Particularly if you go for some of the less popular models (SB-2, Climax, SB-1) which can usually be had for around (and often under) $500.