1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

G&L Tribute JB, $200 off, MF's "Stupid Deal Of The Day"

Discussion in 'Hot Deals' started by Clark W, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Clark W

Clark W Just Say No To Tort! Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2018
    So MF's "Stupid Deal Of The Day" showed up in my inbox today. I normally don't think about it a whole lot cause it's stuff I don't need, Ukulele's, music stands, etc... Sometimes they do have good deals on mics and cables and I'll grab those.

But today's deal, and I need a Jazz to add to my arsenal, a G&L Tribute JB for $299, that normally sells for $499, or more on MF and everywhere else, SW, GC, etc... but financially the timing couldn't be worse. So I'll have to take a pass on it. What a shame, I think.

(edited to include this...)
    WARNING! Read the specs(compare to pics and the same bass at other retailers) and reviews, plus do your research here and elsewhere before just jumping all over this. Always make an informed decision before buying something. I'm not saying it's good or bad, just check things out first.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/gl-tribute-jb-electric-bass

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
    friend33, tlite, waynobass and 3 others like this.
  2. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    uuuuuuhhhhh.... So tempting but it would be a pointless purchase for me. Standing by for SDOTD on the Fallout. Thanks for sharing though!

cratz2, BarfanyShart and WillyWonka like this.
  3. metron

metron Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    Stock pic shows a jazz neck with an extra fret. Unless the neck pocket is set deeper into the body, that would be a mistake.

I know one person that bought one of those JBs in the same color for a good deal but it could not be intonated. They sent it back. I suspect there is a batch of them out there.

Hard pass!

4. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Devil is in the details... among other places.

metron likes this.
  5. HELLonWHEELS

HELLonWHEELS Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2005
    Houston
    I don't need it I don't need it I don't need it I don't need it I don't need it I don't need it I don't need it I don't need it I don't need it I don't need it I don't need it I don't need it I don't need it I don't need it I don't need it I don't need it I don't need it I don't need it I don't need it I don't need it I don't need it I don't need it I don't need it I don't need it I don't need it I don't need it I don't need it I don't need it I don't need it I don't need it I don't need it I don't need it I don't need it I don't need it I don't need it I don't need it I don't need it I don't need it I don't need it I don't need it I don't need it I don't need it I don't need it I don't need it I don't need it I don't need it I don't need it I don't need it I don't need it I don't need it I don't need it I don't need it I don't need it I don't need it I don't need it I don't need it I don't need it I don't need it I don't need it I don't need it I don't need it I don't need it I don't need it I don't need it I don't need it I don't need it I don't need it I don't need it I don't need it I don't need it I don't need it I don't need it I don't need it I don't need it I don't need it I don't need it

6. Clark W

Aug 26, 2018
    Always!

7. Clark W

Aug 26, 2018
    What a shame, it's a gorgeous color. But like everything else that's massed produced, there will be batches of mistakes. Wouldn't surprise me if MF would try to capitalize on it by buying them for pennies on the dollar and then offering them up at a "low to us" price. Have heard too many MF horror stories.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
    lancimouspitt and metron like this.
  8. metron

metron Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    Sadly too many g&l horror stories too.

Jim C, 2F/2F and Raw N Low like this.
  9. Clark W

Aug 26, 2018
    Yep, those too. It would be a gamble but one with a safety net as you can always return it. More a hassle than anything else I guess. I want to buy two and resale one. But right now we're down at work for the next few weeks so I got other things to worry about.

Right in the middle of recording an EP too and I have plenty of basses, 7. Everything from an Aguilar loaded Am Performer P/J down to a jazz style, Peavey Millennium loaded with MEC Dynamic Correction pups from Warwick and a Tone Monster 2 band eq. I really can't justify buying another bass. :D

dkelley likes this.
  10. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Yeah, the reviews are definitely mixed. And the specs shown don't jibe with the pics. For example, it says 20 frets; but the pics show 21 (which is why so many people say it can't be intonated properly). Some reviewers suggest buying longer intonation screws. Another thing is that in the Specs section, it says Blocks for fretboard markers, but the pics show dots.

But it sure does look stunning!! :drool: I'm tempted to buy on even though I don't need it. But I have no more room in my house for basses!! :crying:

TinyE likes this.
  11. Gustopher

Gustopher Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2018
    SWVA
    I almost pulled the trigger until I read the reviews and specs a lot closer. It’s a shame, because it’s gorgeous and I don’t have a Jazz right now.

GTRDAD, westrock and Obese Chess like this.
  12. Clark W

Aug 26, 2018
    I went back and edited my original post to include a warning for one to do their research before making a decision to pull the trigger or not.

GTRDAD and metron like this.
  13. Holdsg

Holdsg Talkbass > Work Gold Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Alta Loma, CA
    That was me. Not saying that this has that problem, but it was the same color and model.
    Scale was actually 34.5" and intonation screws were not long enough for it to intonate properly
    G&L took care of it, but I don't know if they removed all of the mistakes from the channel (probably not, or so it appears). YMMV

metron likes this.
  14. jcpharm

jcpharm

Jan 25, 2020
    i posted this deal in an earlier thread and i pulled the trigger because i believe this is the fixed 20fret version - from the most recent reviews it seems they have been shipping the fixed 20fret version. we'll see when i get it and i will report back. if i end up getting the 21 fret version, i will definitely be returning it.

15. Clark W

Aug 26, 2018
    That is the plus side, it can always be returned. Hopefully it is the 20 fret as it claims in the specs, and with block inlays too! There's one on SW's site that is a 20 fret Lake Placid Blue with block inlays and is gorgeous.

16. metron

metron Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    Then I now know of two people that experienced that issue with the exact same bass model and color :D

17. So except for the intonation problems from a 21 fret neck, is this bass a dog or is it half-way decent?

Also, what's the neck profile feel like? I don't care for slim necks as they bother my thumb.

I don't care if I get blocks or dots, frankly. Actually, I think I would like blocks better.

18. sotua

sotua

Sep 20, 2004
    Somewhere in time
    If you need a Jazz, I would do it. Man, I would love to get a 21-fret jazz right now, but I just spent all my wife points on renovating my guitars with really nice ones so I have to live with my old basses for a while :-D

EDIT: Yikes, those reviews. :/

DJ Bebop and dkelley like this.
  19. Supposedly, newer ones come with a 20 fret neck. That's the word on the street.

20. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Unfortunately, by the time anyone receives one to verify, the sale will be long gone.

Doctor Morbius likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 2, 2021