G&L tribute JB or Squier Classic Vibe Jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wengr, Apr 22, 2019.

1. wengr

wengr Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2010
    Hello, I want something inexpensive to have as a backup, instead of always having to take a second one of my regular basses. I have tried the Classic Vibe at a store and it seems usable. How would the G&L tribute compare? Impossible to try one here.
    Fwiw, I play mostly Sadowsky metro basses, but want something cheap and passive for a backup.

2. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    The G&L Tribute basses have an excellent reputation. I would prefer the Tribute over the Squier. YMMV but I don't think it will.

TerenceE likes this.
  3. fuzzychaos

fuzzychaos

Mar 17, 2008
    Ohio
    I have to say the G&L Tribute, to me, is a much better bass than the Squier. Sound (those MFD pickups are awesome), the feel, the bridge. That being said, the Classic Vibe is a good bass as well, just not as good as the G&L, IMHO.

4. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Easy choice...G&L.

5. EmaTheMirror

EmaTheMirror

Oct 9, 2009
    London, UK
    Hi, I'm resurrecting this one as I was wondering about the same... Not that I'm definitely going to purchase one or the other, but I was thinking about a J with a rather good value for money without investing a lot. Are there any more or different opinions on that, one year later?

The sonic blue of the Squier looks great, but so does the blue G&L, albeit a bit more common. That's the least of my priorities anyway. I'm mainly narrowing it down to:

- tone
    - stability
    - fit and finish, good frets and fret ends

I've yet to read a negative review about that blue 60s Squier, and that's almost regardless of their price point, therefore my curiosity. I'm not aiming for a beginner's bass though, more something objectively good sounding in a similar price range. Would you say that "stepping up" to the Player range (or the likes) would be massively worthwhile? I only own Fenders (no Squiers, I mean) but so do many people who say they don't necessarily feel a world apart when picking up those classic vibes.

Here's a comparison between the very two basses. It's from a vendor, though, so they tend to be as neutral as possible without favouring one brand or the other:

Last edited: May 2, 2020
  6. Hundred proof

Hundred proof

Apr 22, 2018
    I’ve yet to play either a G&L or Sterling import that I liked the Squier hit or miss but I have liked some of the CV models

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021