G&L Tribute L-2000, Basswood vs. Ash

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by beam, Sep 18, 2003.

1. beam

Dec 29, 2002
    The tribute line, with regards to the Non-premium finish. THey have basswood bodies. I know, this isnt generally thought of to be a great wood for bass contsrtuction, but anyone here played one and can compare it to the swamp ash versions? Is there really a great noticeable difference?

No, don't compare it to the American made one's, I know those sound better.
  2. The American ones use alder, so it wouldn't really be a fair comparison to begin with.

I haven't had a chance to try out the basswood version of the L2k, but the ash is pretty close to the US ones.
  3. dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    My American G&L has ash. They use alder for flat colors and ash for transparent. I personally wouldn't trust basswood, I would go with the ash-bodied Tribute for sure. If you're buying one new, I would suggest looking for a used American L-2000 instead. I found mine for $650 and it will keep that value, unlike an investment into a Tribute.
  4. Maybe I should've made myself clearer. I meant that the American version of the solid finish L2000 uses alder as opposed to basswood on the Tribute, and the woods (at least to me) seem too different to make a fair comparison. The ash Tributes are more or less the same as the ash US G&Ls. I never tried the alder L2000s. My L2k is ash. The alder is a lot lighter than ash, and my assumption is the basswood Tribute is a lot lighter than the ash one. But some people who have played both claim the heavier wood has a little more "oomph." I dunno HOW much of a difference it makes, but that's what people say.

If you want a lighter bass and like the finishes better on the basswood, then I say go with the basswood. Personally, I don't think the ash L2ks are all that heavy. My Ric feels significantly heavier, and I can still bear it.