Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G&L Tribute L-2500 Pics

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by subsonic, May 9, 2005.

1. Howdy all!

Could you please post pics of your G&L Tribute L-2500 and/or guide me to some high definition pictures of one (but not the U.S.A. model). I'm considering buying, but I can't seem to find one in the stores close by. I'd like to try before I buy, but some good quality photos would satisfy my curiosity for the moment.

Also, how does the build quality compare to the MTD Kingston 5 and Lakland Skyline 55-01?

Thanks folks!

Steve

2. Does the Tribute L-2500 circuitry work like the Lakland's where you can bypass the pre-amp to make it passive, or does it come in both passive and active models? Is it 9 volt or 18?

3. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I think it does have passive mode. I know the U.S. model does. You should go to G&L's site, www.glguitars.com, which has specs and some decent pics.

I enjoyed your other thread on this because I'm thinking about a fiver, and I've narrowed it down to mostly the same choices, but I'd also like to try a Fender Deluxe Zone V if I can find one. I briefly played the G&L a few months ago, and thought it felt great. I plan to try it through an amp this week.

4. coop

coop

Jun 22, 2002
    Oklahoma
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yes, you can switch the preamp off for true passive operation. It's 9Volt. This is the best "bang for the buck" Bass going right now. (IMHO)

5. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    Picture Coop's tribby with a maple neck and you got what mine looks like. The Truibute just kicks so much A$$ it's not even funny. But I'm having a hard time swithing to my Truibute L-2500 from my USA Fender 4 sting. I always fill that im naglecting my Fender. I also have a hard time on the muting. More strings want to ring threw on a five then on a four.

Anyway go to google: type in G&L Tribute L-2500 and then hit images. Thats what I do when I want to see pics.

6. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    because Jazz makes the rules..always remember this statement in bass bible....... ;)

7. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    I know i'm going to regreat this but... I don't get it.(i need a red face smily.)

8. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I did an A\B with the Lakland, MTD and KSD when trying the Tribute. To me, there was no contest - I thought the Tribute felt better and had the best overall tone. VERY aggressive sounding. When I go from my MIA Jazz (which I love) to the Tribute it is like, whoa! More of a thick, hot sound - it almost sonds too aggressive to me when played solo, but put it in a mix and the thing absolutely kills...

9. takk

takk

Dec 11, 2000
    El Segundo,CA
    I got Tribute 2500 Premium, it sounds great!
    BUT their pots are not good at all.
    Because all of pots start making scratchy noise within 6 months, I replaced them at local repair shop. (well, at first I returned it to G&L for repair volume pot. After that other 2 pots went bad, so I took them to local shop).
    You better play it before you buy.

10. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I agree - my pots went bad quick, too...

11. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    UPS just delivered my Tribute L-2500 last night!

I have it and my camera here at work, so what do you want to see?

Lovin it by the way!

12. I just want to take a moment thank ALL of you for your input, it is very appreciated and very helpful! Thanks for the killer pics, Coop, they are just what I had in mind... and to think, a few days ago I didn't like G&L's, now I think they're gorgeous!

Thanks again folks!

Sincerely

Steve a.k.a. Subsonic

13. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Totally! I was just looking at the individual parts...
    Great bridge, great pickups with a great tonal selection...
    Great neck and feel...
    Okay, the tuners are good, because they aren't MORE special than other basses in its class ;)
    The build quality on mine is amazing, fretwork is good.

Only thing I don't like is the quality of the pots. They are trash!

I'll stop gushing now.

14. If the pots are trash, how easy would it be to replace them? I ask because of the apparent complexity of the electronics.

15. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    I want to see. :D :hyper:

My Tribute had the scratchy pots too. Took it back to where I bought it, adb had them replaced. Now I have no problems exept muting the B string.

The bad thing is that the pots were changed before I bought the guitar. The problem came from G&L itself. They sent the guy replacement pots that were the bad pots to replace the original bad pots. :eyebrow: . G&L had to send him new pots. But it's all good now no snap crackle or pop.

16. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    To many freaken wires. :)
    I wouldn't do it there is like six wires that go onto the volume pot alone. I can work on a Fender P-Bass or something with less wires. My Truibute I let someone who knows what they're doing do it.

Oh hey why do some people say that a G&L Truibute in not a real G&L, but never say that about a MIM, MIJ Fender bass? :confused: