1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

G&L Tribute L-2500

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by kph24, Sep 6, 2008.

1. kph24

kph24

Dec 27, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Eastman Basses
    Hey my fellow TBers

I am a G&L owner, but I have had some bad luck with them. I resolved all issues with them but I was wondering I should give the L-2500 a chance I mainly play R&B and Pop but I also seem to get a lot of Rock gigs lately.

any feedback or suggestions would be much appreciated thanks :)

2. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I have a Trib L2500. Mechanically it's great. Super low setup. It's an easy player. At the moment it's strung E through C.

Electronically I'm not high on the L series preamp so I jerked that out and put an Audere in it's place. Fabulous. A joy to play.

3. kph24

kph24

Dec 27, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Eastman Basses
    So is the bass now less "edgy"? I guess you could say

4. vroc38

vroc38

Jan 5, 2006
    Seattle
    Definitely experiment with the volume and tone controls turned down. Many of us agree that's where the tone is.

5. CElton

CElton I'm a new note finder...

Big +1...many combinations in there. I'm still searching for a set of strings that knock me out. Haven't really found a set with a really good B yet. Considering a set of DR Lo-Riders or Sunbeams next.

6. lovenotfear

lovenotfear

Aug 15, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    i would try the sunbeams if i were you, i have tried the dr low riders twice on my usa G&L L2500 and the low b keeps getting thuddy on me, even after i adjust the saddles.

7. mainsail

mainsail

Mar 24, 2007
    San Diego Ca
    +1 on the Sunbeams. On my MIA L2500, I'm using a .45 to .105 for the bottom four and a .120 B.
    I use a Genz Benz ML200-210T at church and have lots of bottom and enough highs to share with plenty of clarity.
    The B is strung through the bridge.

8. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge

It's more 'everything'. If I want more edge - I can get it. If I want a dub monsta - got that too ... and seemingly all points in between.

The way I set it up was the typical 3 band EQ plus blend using 2 stacked pots - no new holes (except for 1 - a 1/8th on the side, down by the jack for the battery strength indicator LED).

The switches are z-mode, and then Series-Single-Paralelle for each humbucker. So I can have the neck pickup in series and just a Single from the bridge pickup - then use the blend to drift from edge to dubby & back ... lot's of options on that bass... The MFD's & Audere are a great pairing - not a suprise as one of Dave's demo basses is an old L2000 - no EQ on the bass. z-mode and coil switching - I spent a day trying to buy it from him the first time I played it ...

It's not like you really need to dump the pre in an L2K or L2500 - I like the passive modes just fine - there is a lot of good tone to be had in there. The bass is in-expensive enough and it's good enough to be totally 'mod-worthy'. Not so valuable that you won't want to devalue it, and mechanically sound enough to justify modding - perfect for me as I have a hard time leaving well enough alone. ;~)

9. CElton

Well I just ordered a set of 45-130's. I thought I would keep the same gauge on there. I'll let you know how it works out.

10. kph24

kph24

Dec 27, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Eastman Basses

Cool thanks for the info as far as strings I am partial to Medium Elixir's :)

11. lovenotfear

lovenotfear

Aug 15, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    you just gave me an idea mainsail, i think i will try my b string strung through the bridge to see if it gets rid of this thuddyness, and the next time i buy strings i will get some dr sun beams or something nickel, and i will string those through the body, but for now maybe this will be a fix.

12. mainsail

mainsail

Mar 24, 2007
    San Diego Ca
    Correction:
    Sorry. The B is through the body and the E is through the bridge along with the A, D and G.
    Some like the E and B both through the body but the E sounds just fine through bridge.
    The sustain may be better with the B through body. Some say they can't tell any difference.

13. CElton

Follow up...the Sunbeams are great. I was a little skeptical as I had purchased two sets of Hi-Beams from GC and was not impressed. The HiBeams weren't as bright sounding as I was anticipating and they were dark in color like they were old. Maybe I got a bad batch. Anyway, the Sunbeams are amazing. Wonderful feel, playability and tone. If they last, I think I'll throw a set on my SR5 too.

14. mainsail

mainsail

Mar 24, 2007
    San Diego Ca
    Interesting. It's indeed possible you happened upon a bad batch. That can happen to any string manufacture who cranks out a lot of product.
    I actually switched from the Highbeams to the Sunbeams to tame the brightness. I use them on both my L2K and L2500 and I've been extremely pleased that I didn't lose any brightness and the nickels feel great and seem to last rather well.
    Hope your experience is just as good.

15. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Absolutely. I almost never use the pre in my US L2500. I run it passive, and then sometimes I use my 'ol Sadowsky outboard pre or my Xotic Tri-Logic pre on it depending on required flavor and how much I want to tweak the mids. I remember the first time I used it with the Sadowsky pre was at a session with a "big time" producer and he said "wow, what a great sound" after I'd played about 4 notes.

16. kph24

kph24

Dec 27, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Eastman Basses
    I just ordered the L-2500 in Blueburst with Maple neck :)

17. woody357

woody357 Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2005
    I was wondering "Is this thread about the Tribute L-2500, or about strings". I was looking to get some good info on this bass, but all I got was strings.:mad:

18. kph24

kph24

Dec 27, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Eastman Basses
    It was suppose to be but things kind of turned towards what strings to use

19. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    long as we're on the string topic - they cost a few buck but G&L's seemingly love, just love Thomastic Super Alloy's you get as much 'clang' as you can possibly use - but without a harsh top - kinda of like Roto' Swing bass but not annoyingly bright and with a much beefier low end. Sweet!

20. The TI Powerbass are also excellent. I'd had them on my now-gone L-2000 and now on my L-2500. Excellent stuff. Also the L-2000 carried Super Alloys as well and those too are excellent strings.

Ken...