G&L Tribute L2500 review

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Larry Kaye, Jan 26, 2004.

1. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Thought some of you might be interested in this. I've been all caught up in more boutique, high end basses, buyin' and sellin' like it's going out of style over the last 3 years. I've found my "perfect" match in an F bass Studio model, but have been in search of a second, playable, yet less expensive bass to go along with the F. Several attempts at used Moduluiii's, Roscoe's, Stringrays have failed to make my blood flow any faster.

I think I've finally found one. I picked up a new G&L Tribute L2500. It's natural ash body with a maple board. Yes the edges of the frets aren't smoothe and creamy like the high end basses, something that can be fixed for under $100.00, and yes it doesn't have a burled whatever quilted top, but, it plays and sounds excellent. I found the 34 inch scale refreshing to play, especially on tunes like "Give it to me" where you play the same lick over over over and over again some more for 10 minutes. The B string sounds punchy and tight. The strings overall feel very tight and quick. I can play faster cleaner, staccato licks on this bass and set up the action slightly higher than my F bass, yet it's just as comfortable. It's not a lightweight, but it's gotta be at least a pound less than my Stingray 5. It balances really nice, neither body nor neck heavy. The electronics give me three similtaneously useable tones by just flicking the pickup selector switch. It's a really good match for my lighter touch finger style playing. Sounded good through 2 other bassist's rigs I used yesterday. Very punchy. You can dial in more bottom by switching to the bridge pickup or flicking the series parallel switch up towards the strings for those of you reggae freaks. For a great delivered price with gig bag of under $600.00, I think it's a bargain. You might be able to do better once they come around used, but they're already $300 or more new less expensive than a used USA model and sound exactly the same to my recollection.

Anyhow, this is a great bass for me to take to jams, smokey bars, and other gigs where I don't feel "safe" or "right" taking my beloved nitrous cellulous finished black ceruse F Bass or want to risk it being left in a car while we go eat after a gig.

Only the fret finishing can be criticised on my bass along with the gig bag being cheap ass, but I coulda gotten a hard shell for $70.00 and I still might.

I'll keep you posted, but my point here is that if we're as bass consumers willing to compromise a little bit, there are some really affordable,
    nice sounding and playing basses out there, even for the stuck up, boutique crowd. Remember, those vintage P and J basses only cost $150-200 new when they came out.

the bassmohn
  2. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    Here are a few links for ya Larry Kaye

# 1

If you do a search I know you will find more on the G&L Tribute L-2500.
  3. What is the difference between a L-2000 to L-2500?
  4. LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    L-2000 = 4 strings

L-2500 = 5 strings