G&L Tribute L2500 vs Lakland Skyline 55-01

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassman83, Aug 4, 2004.

1. Lakland Skyline 55-01

38 vote(s)
  2. G&L Tribute L2500

51 vote(s)
  1. hey guys
    So I'm getting a new bass and I think its come sown to the Lakland 55-01 or the G&L Tribute L2500. How do these basses compare? I'm currently playing in a band where we do quite varied stuff, so I'd need tonal versatility. And how does the tribute compare to the full price G&L series?

2. Right, I'm Buying a new bass and its come down to these two. How do they compare, and how to their sounds differ. I play in a band who do quite varied styles of music, so I need my bass to have a versatile sound, and I use a warwick CCL combo with a sub III to handle the bottom end.

3. I`ve never played the Lakland, and although they seem nice, I don`t think they can beat the G&L in terms of versatility. As always I think it`s better if you played them both before buying so you can get the feel of each bass, maybe you`ll like one neck more than the other...
  4. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    About the G&L tribute: does anyone know if the lefthand versions are out yet? G&L's site isn't exactly very informative.
  5. Czar

May 6, 2003
    New Jersey
    I've owned both. I prefered the G&L alot more than the Lakland.
  6. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I currently own a 55-01 and am quite pleased with it. But if you're needing versatility, the l2500 is the obvious choice. THe 55-01 does a great muscley jazz and p- sound, but the L2500 was built for versatility.

7. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Both are great. Those are probably two of the best choices for under $800. Personally, I think the most important issue would be neck length and string spacing.

The Lakland is 35" with relatively wide string spacing.

The G&L is 34" with narrower spacing.

If you have big hands or slap alot and need the spacing, I'd go with the Lakland. If you have smaller mits or just prefer a smaller board, then the G&L might be a better fit.

Both offer great tones, flexibility, and quality construction.
  8. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    The Tributes are well made. You probably want to get the "premium" that has the same electronics as the U.S. models.
  9. doublemuff216

Jun 14, 2004
    Astoria NY
    the lakland is a NICE bass...but if u go with the g&l the regular g&l not the tribute series might be better if u can find one...
  10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I merged your two threads. Please refrain from doubleposting.

Of your two choices, I would pick the Lakland, just because I like the tone a little bit more, and like the wide neck and 3/4" bridge spacing a lot more.

But if you don't mind the neck on the G&L, that bass has a ton of tones lurking in it. The 55-01 is pretty versatile, but the G&L L series electronics pretty much have the versatility crown tied up, in basses under $1500.
  11. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I have had a Tribute L-2500 for a little over a month and I am very pleased with it. I have pretty big hands and I don't find the neck uncomfortable at all, and I slap alot. I think that the Tribute is comparable to both the Skyline 55-01 and the 55-02
    in overall quality and it has the most versatile electronics of any bass I know of in virtually any price category.
  12. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I was faced w/ the same choice... Wasn't able to find a tribute, but wound up comparing a 55-01 to a NON-tribute L-2500...

Bought me a Skyline, because if the REAL G&L wasn't good enough,,, the tribute couldn't be.
  13. Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I recently bought a Tribute L-2500 Premium and A\B tested it with the Lakland as well as the new KSD jazz basses and liked the Tribute the best by far. I was able to eek a number of really good tones out of it quickly with the amp's EQ set flat. It is very flexible and you can get a number of really good tones out of it once you get used to the controls. I also looked at it alongside the US G&Ls and obviously the US versions had much better fit and finish - I assume the tone is the same (or close) though. There are two downsides IMHO - first is quality control. The first one I looked at had a bad preamp and the second one had a crack in the neck heel. I finally found one that seemed good, but the pots became scratchy quick and the problem couldn't be fixed by blowing them out. Second is string spacing - very tight quarters in my opinion, especially for slapping. I never thought that would be an issue (this is my first five), but know to look for wider spacing next time. This is obviously personal preference...
  14. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I have a Tribute L-2500 Premium (all Ash). Bought it as my rehearsal / hosted jam 'beater' bass. It shouldn't sound anmywhere near as *great* as it does for $500! Honestly, the bass sounds fantastic, cuts through the mix, growls well, nad has great tones. The only downside to mine is that it is heavy. But that might contribute to the punchy tone. I a-b compared it with the Tribute that was the non-premium version and the deluxe "ash" version sounded much ballsier and had better punch, tone and growl. - Gary
  15. mxr255

mxr255 Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2003
    Williamsport, PA
    I prefer the 55-02 to the 55-01 b/c it is much more versatile in my opinion. I feel the pick up combination on the 55-02 can achieve many different sounds. The 55-01 is not a good bass to compare the the G&L, but the 55-02 is.

Check out the Lakland site and see how much handwork goes into these basses from foriegn lands. I think the Tribute line comes in from overseas completely set up and pushed out the door. I am not too sure on that
  16. hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    I've owned both and needless to say that niether the 2 of them blew my socks off however I think that if the G&L had the wide string spacing that the Lakland had I proably would give it the edge.
    Personally I think both basses were versatile in there own type way with one (G&L) having a little more tones than its counterpart. I will say this.Both them have more ideal tones than a StingRay 5.

Good Luck ! Happy Hunting :smug:
  17. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    One order of 35" scale and soapbars, please! I do like G&L's but I like that extra inch on the B better.
  18. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    As a proud Lakland 44-02 owner, I say......

The G&L. Why? More versatility. You can get J and Stingray tones out of it, which is why the 02s are so good, but with an 01, you can only get soapbar tones.
  19. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Of course, a 55-01 and Tribute L2500 are pretty close to the same price. A 55-02 costs quite a bit more. So, based on price, the 55-01 is a much better comparison to the Tribute than the 55-02 is.
  20. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    a 5502 is more of a direct comparison to a USA G&L. I now own both a Tribute and USA L2500. The neck and fret finishing is definitely a step up on the USA model. Maybe the shape isn't exactly the same or something, but I strongly prefer the USA version but again, new they cost 2+ times more than the Korean ones. I got mine new for just under $500 + delivery. You can't get a new 5501 for anything near that. The G&L gig bag sucks by the way....it's not a very good one. I can't vouch for the Lakland.

Having also owned a Lakland 5594 (actually 3 or them, 2 fretted and one Fretless) although the Lakland's are more "stunning" looking at times, I've had a much better relationship with my G&L's soundwise than any of the Laklands. I see the G&L being more of a cross between a J and P bass, where the Laklands are more of a stingray and a P'ish bass. A 5594 costs more than double a G&L USA L2500 and I would expect it to be accordingly a much higher quality piece in every respect, but I don't see that necessarily, not to the tune of $1200+ per bass. I personally don't love Bartolini pickups...others have no issue with them.

Regarding the scale length and string spacing...to each your own. The B strings on both my G&L's sound and feel just like the rest of the bass and balance perfectly. As I've mentioned on several other strings, unpopular an opinion as it is, the tightness of your B string is of little to no importance. Those of you peddling the B string need both an attitude and reality adjustment. Those who need an F# string lower than the B, ought really to talk to the nearest music psychologist to determine what it was about your childhood that caused so much insecurity.

As long as the feel, tone, and output of the B string is in line with the rest of the bass, you'll be fine with whatever instrument you choose, 34 or 35, 5/8 or 3/4 inch at the bridge. It's all BS...Jaco, Jamerson, and one ton of others invented and performed some of the best electric bass ever on 34 inch scale, passive, beat up, basses. The need for all the upgrades is just as much ego as necessity.

Get the G&L, you will not be disappointed.