G&L Tribute or Lakland Skyline?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by B8ssMan89, Jun 18, 2005.

1. Which one should I go for?
    I love both. I've been gassing for a thick sized neck. So whichever has the more thicker neck will be great. Can y'all tell me tone characteristics
  2. BassikLee

BassikLee Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    and ended up with the Tribute. Reasons are varied. To me, it came down to the spacing. I played 90% of my gigs on a 1992 Fender Jazz Plus fiver, which has medium/narrow spacing. The Trib, while a tad wider, isn't the full 19mm width of the Lakland stuff. I never could get used to that, having been on narrowish fives for 15 years or so. The necks are different. To me, the Lakland is very wide, but not real thick, while the Trib is not super wide, but kind of baseball bat thick. I will say this as well, the Trib is SOLID. I had a SR5 for a while, and the Trib feels every bit as solid as that bass. Kind of puts my '92 J+ to shame in the "feels solid" department. Tone wise, just got it yesterday, still figuring it out. Thus far, really like it.

3. Sane

Dec 4, 2004
    Melbourne Fl
    The G&L has a much thicker neck.. lot more rounded. Thats my main issue with them. and its why I went with the slimmer 02. Hope that helps.
  4. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Don't own the tribute or the skyline, but I own the basses they are built on the 4-94 and L2000. The G&L has a thicker and wider neck than the 4-94, I cant speak for the 5 strings. The G&L is also heavier, and doesn't let you access the higher frets as well as the Lakland.

Both play well, and the G&L has a more agressive sound than the Lakland. But, both basses are very versatile in terms of tone. You really can't go wrong with either, it's a matter of which one fits you the best.
  5. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    G&L's a bit thicker, but not wider.

I've played a L2500 deluxe Tribute. Great bass, lots of mids, but lacked depth IMHO. I own a Lakland 55-02 and could not be any happier with it. Plenty of great tones and lots of growl. Can get both classic and modern tones, while I think the 2500 is limited a bit more to the classic tones. Got offered a great deal on it, tried to really like it, but couldn't. IMHO.
  6. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    The G&L has a nice round thick p-bass feel, but its fairly comfortable.
    I haven'd had any experience with the lakland.
  7. gojirin

Oct 11, 2004
    I sold my Trib 2500 because it was too heavy - neck was a bit of a problem in the width, too. Scratchy pots come to think of it(same problem with my Trib ASAT).
    I have a Lakland DJ which is my favorite bass, no issues with the neck at all.
    In playing 5 strings, both sound fantastic(Lakland 2500 vs either Lakland "jazz"), but the Lakland feels better. To me, of course.

I will get a four string G&L(American or Trib) at some point, but it will have to be the right weight and neck.
  8. duke2004

duke2004 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2004
    Cambridge, Mass.
    The Skyline Joe Osborn, P Bass, D Jones models are amazing values, if used their is no choice in the matter. ive owned the above three models and have played a friends Tribute. They are different beasts but the Lakland quality is clearly miles above the Tribute
  9. Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Those Tribs are also hundreds of dollars more. I got my L-2500 for $425 and it's solid as a tank, mint condition too. Incredibly tight low B & a ton of punch. It realllly cuts through.

I was looking at a DJ but in that price range I might as well buy a used Fender MIA Dlx Jazz (which I did later).