G&L Tribute Sound/Neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MCBTunes, Mar 13, 2005.

1. Hey, Well I hear good things about the G&L Tribute I've read every thread here on anything tribute and I'm quite impressed, very few bad things to say.

G&L Tribute L-2000 looks mighty sexy to me right now.

BUT, they dont sell them in Canada. So I cant try one before buying.

Can anyone describe the sound to me? fat like a Fender P, growly like a Fender J, trebily like a Sterling or plain word descriptions like fat/punchy/growly are cool too, whatever helps ya describe it. Whats it like with the EQ flat too?

Last question, the neck, 12" radius seems huge... I have little hands, I like a fender J, but a P is still playable for me... whats it like as far as chunkyness goes? is it a baseball bat or thin like a J? Not thicker than a P right? Thinner?

All questions concern the Tribute L-2000

THANKS! :help:
  2. Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    The tone ..hard to describe perhaps because it is almost all of the above you listed.

I'd have to say it's definitely growly and warm. You can dial in trebly but I'd say it has more fat jazz-iness and you can dial in a bit of P punch. I hate to give it all of those accolades but it's pretty damn true.

First thing I noticed about the neck is that it's SLIGHTLY bigger than a J neck. However your hand will feel more at home on this bass than on a J, I know mine does.
  3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The radius has nothing to do with the neck thickness or profile, it is an indication of the fingerboard flatness. The larger the number, the flatter the fingerboard.

Since the bass has a 12" radius, if you imagined a circle which follows the curvature of the neck, the circle would have a 12" radius.
  4. So we can safely say that it doesnt really sound like a sterling unless you boost the treble and cut bass or something? I really dont like the sterling sound.

I need some thump and punch P-Bass is my favorite sound. J-Bass is well another one of my favorites... I play punk and instrumental rock so I need something that cuts, but NOT like the sterling :)

embellisher wouldnt a bigger radius/flatter board make it tough to reach the E string? Especially down at the 8-15th frets.