G&L Tribute - Sounds too much like MIA P-Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jefft54, Oct 9, 2005.

1. :hyper: The question is: I currently am playing a Fender MIA P-bass. I am thinking of buying a Tribute L2K or 2K5 as a backup. From the reviews I've read, does the Trib sound too much like the P? I know they're versatile in tone but I don't need a backup to sound too much like the Fender. Thoughts? :bassist:
  2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    You can get very close to the P sound with a G&L Tribute but you can also get several other good sounds that don't sound like a P at all. The Tribute would make a great backup or number one bass also.
  3. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I have a tribute L-2500 and an American L-2000. I don't think they sound like a P-bass, but like the other poster said...if you want, you can get a close imitation of a P or a J bass. They have several switches and blend knobs that allow for a wide variety of tones. I love my G&L's. They both play and sound awesome. The pickups are by far, the most powerful ones I've ever heard. It's like they are on steriods or something. They are active, but they seem "more" active than other active basses I've tried. Sounds weird, but trust me! The tribute is definately a cheaper built bass than the USA in terms of overall feel, but for around $500 USD, it's a great bass. Same pickups as the USA.
  4. epoxo57

Feb 17, 2005
    Perrysburg, Ohio

To me, I prefer the versatility and more tonal options of my L2K. I am really liking the P-bass type tone I am getting too. Go play both and see what moves ya more.
  5. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    Can anyone tell me how to get a Jazz bass tone on it? For that matter all the other tones they say you can get?
  6. FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    I sometimes can get my Tribute L-2500 to sound like my MIA Fender. I think it has to do more with my ears for that day then it does with the bass. I don't know how to really get that Jazz sound. :meh: But I do like to put mine on the bridge pickup and set to Active to get a really nice growl out of it.

Let me ask you guys this. As of latly I have prefered to play my Tribute over my USA Fender. Now sometimes I feel like im neglecting an american made product. Which sucks because I never cared what I was playing before as long as I was playing something.
    So is this normal or am I just over thinking this to much?
  7. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    Its normal. Sometimes I feel like playing more guitar then bass. Sometimes I feel like writing more then playing bass. Sometimes I feel like sleeping more then playing bass. Its just how you feel that day.