Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G&L Tribute stand the test of time?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by d8g3jdh, Aug 19, 2005.

1. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    I'm looking into a new bass and i wanted to buy new since i plan on makin this one a keeper, but i was wondering if G&L tributes will hold up well in the long run (think in terms of decades) or would a used USA perform better in the future?

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    While the Tributes are made overseas and the USA's are obviously built in California, they're both quality instruments. But if you're buying for the long run, I would go with the best instrument you can used. Think of it this way, when it's 20 years old, would a year with the previous owner REALLY be that big of a deal? Go with the best you can now.

3. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    +1 on the above.

4. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Plus resale value on USA made guitars always goes up. Have you ever seen a "vintage" korean made bass selling for thousands of dollars? The tributes are a pretty sweet bass, though in terms of value vs. quality. I'm looking into an L-2500 tribute just for giggles! :D

5. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Sep 9, 2001
    Depends on your goals.
    I special ordered two MM 'Rays because I was doing worship, recording & coffee shop-type gigs.
    If I were once again to play covers in a smokey tavern, where I'd be sweating all over my instrument, getting beer tossed on it, and occasionally blood from my fingers ...I'd get a MM SUB or G&L Tribute in a heartbeat.