G&L Tribute vs The Bass Company (TBC)

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by dgce, Mar 19, 2006.

1. dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    In my humble opinion, the two best mid-priced bass deals going right now are the G&L Tributes and Chinese manufactured, US setup, TBC basses. I've heard raves about the TBCs and have seriously considered ordering either a J/MM pickup 5 string model or a MM/MM pickup 5 string. The hitch is that you can't find them at a GC or yr local shop. You have to have faith when ordering.

However, I've actually tried a couple of Tribute L2500s and really liked them a lot. I'm also a G&L devotee (I own an ASAT and an old SB-1). Jumping into my first 5, I figured scoring a Tribby was a no brainer. It’s a 5 and will feel weird, but the pickups and preamp and general build of the bass will be fairly familiar. But these TBC basses look fantastic and the reviews have all been exceptional.

So, my question is has anyone actually tried a Tribby and a TBC? Any pros & cons with either instrument? Which has the greater bang for buck?

2. kaky213

Oct 20, 2005
    This is a great question, I was thinking of making the same thread identical to this one. I have also played a G&L and liked it (Leo Fender RULES :hyper: )but I never played a TBC and they seem very interesteing. Personally I cant decide between a TBC or G&L or ATK. Any suggestions would be helpfull.
  3. i really dont think your gonna get an answer unless someone owns a TBC and tribute at the same time :meh: so i guess that question is kinda unfair, since its almost unanswerable. theyre both probly great basses, and once i order and recieve (which should be soon) a TBC i'll see how it is, but i dont have a tribute but i can play a few at a local shop and see how they compare. the TBC's are cheaper though
  4. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    To be honest, any of those TBC basses are basically a Jazz or an MM clone. With my G&L L2K I can get Jazz tones, Precision tone, MM tones, etc. If you're looking for a pure Jazz Bass tone I'd go for the TBC bass, but if you want great tones and versatility I'd go with the L2K.
  5. i have a tbc 4string with the j and the mm pup configuration and i like it verry much and would not trade it for anything. i also just purchased the tribute l2k(well put it on layaway):meh: but i think i can shed some light on this subject.
    the pups on the tbc are hot but not as hot as the tribute while in active mode the preamp in the g&l is a little more versitile and you can tell more difference when you turn the eq on the mids and highs and lows. on the tbc preamp the difference between the pot for the mids and the pot for the higs is not as great. the tbc neck on mine id a three piece quarter sawn maple neck and the fretwork is nice and with the satin finish it is super smooth. the finish is on the g&l neck is not as fast and the fretwork is about the same.

allthough the pups are like a j or a mm they are not really a clone . you can dile in a sound like a j or a mm on a tbc but you can also do that with the l2000.

i say if you can afford it get both basses although fot the 5 string mj from tbc you are gonna have to wait until the custom shop is open.:( :bassist:

hope that helped. i personally bought the tribute for looks:bag: i like the ash, maple, maple combonation and blueburst.:D