Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G&L tribute

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Indiana Mike, Mar 3, 2006.

1. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

Nov 18, 2005
    I was wanting opinions on the tribute models,specifically the premium models.
    Are they what squier is to fender, olp to music man?
    Or are they of good quality,maybe I should save some extra dollars and look for a used one as they pop up now and then.
    Quality,consistency
    anyone?

I think it really is a toss up between a lakland skyline, mtd kingston and the tribute. I'm actually curious about all three

2. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    The premium Tribute has the same pups and preamp, same bridge (but manufactured elswhere) as the US model and a real Ash body. The neck is different and I've heard some complaint about the pots being scratchy. All in all, very hard to beat at it's price point, just change out the pots.

3. I'd consider them a few step above the Squire/OLP connection. Entirely different market, IMO. Mine sounds the same as the few USA models I've played...but the USA ones just feel better to me. I'd buy another without hesitating. I hear the scratchy pot issue has been rectified....mine had one but was fixed by the factory.

Mike

4. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

Probably more along the lines of a Conklin Groove Tools or MTD Kingston (or dare I say Lakland Skyline?). US pickups, US preamp, copy of the US bridge (cast, not milled or some such distinction). Doesn't have the bi-cut neck or lightweight tapered aluminum post tuners of the US model.

I'm in the market for a Tribute SB-2 and I've had lots of US G&Ls (and still have a US L2K).

5. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

Nov 18, 2005
    I think it really is a toss up between a lakland skyline, mtd kingston and the tribute. I'm actually curious about all three

6. Peter, I bought a G&L Tribute premium about three months ago, and I absolutely love this bass. I also own a MIM Fender P-Bass Special with maple fretboard and a U.S.A. made in the same model. The G&L blows both of them out of the water. I've had no trouble with scratchy pots or anything else for that matter. I would put this bass up against a Music Man, Lakland, etc. any day of the week. It has lots of different tonal qualities for a lot less money than the other basses you mentioned. I've played several brands of basses in the past and some sounded great and some didn't, but this bass plays very well and sounds awesome. Check out The Dudepit site, this site is nothing but G&L owners who are very knowledgeable about this bass. Hope you go with G&L. Roger Winkler www.recklessunion.com:bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: