1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

G&L Tribute

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by iamlowsound, Apr 24, 2006.

1. So I am looking for a new bass, I am currently playing a washburn six string (that I will not be getting rid of), a Ibanez SR305DX (that I am selling) and a frankinfretless (that I plan on keeping). I want a four string because that I what I am lacking right now and I see myself moving back toward four string basses. I really want a G&L but I lack the funds do to saving for University that I will be starting in the fall. So I started looking at the tribute model of the G&L L2000. My question is: how are they quality wise? I know they aren't made in the US like the regular G&L basses. But are they to G&L like CIJ is to fender? Or more like MIM is to fender?

lowsound

2. Darth Tater

Darth Tater

May 20, 2005
    I'd put the G&L Tributes up against any standard USA Fender easily. Just make sure to get one with an ash body.

3. Are they a lot more expensive? Because I am a tight budget.

lowsound

4. RobertUI

RobertUI Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    FWIW I want to point out that the electronics (from what I was recently told by a dealer) are the same whether you get a tribute or the "real" thing.

5. steve4765630

steve4765630

Feb 27, 2006
    Good bang for the buck. One of the best buys out there.

6. ~$500. There are multiple threads with opinions on this line of basses.

Mike

7. I just put mine down minutes ago

I can't see ever selling it. I've gotten a few basses after I bought my Tribute, but I always come back to it.

When people ask me what brand of bass I have I say "G&L". I've played a few 'real' G&Ls and this is up with them as far as I'm concerned. It doesnt deserve the 'Tribute', its the real deal

8. MichaelScott

MichaelScott

Jul 27, 2004
    Moorpark CA
    I've played on three Tributes and disliked them so much that I wouldn't even use them for firewood.

But it could of just been the store I was at...

9. darkside 88

darkside 88

Feb 23, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Amazing deal.

<3 Mine.

10. Thanks for the feedback guys, I am saving my pennies.

lowsound

11. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    If you can find one used, they're an even better deal...