G&L Tribute

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bill h, Apr 3, 2003.

1. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    L-2500 Premiun 5 string $599.99 not bad compared to $1200 or so for a USA one.

I see thay are in the new Musician's Friend. I would very much like to get one, but I would like to hear a review of them. If you have seen or played one please share. At my local music store the guy said the will get them in at the end of this month.
  2. bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    I saw those too, they look nice. They must be new, though, i havent seen them at any stores, or heard anything about them except for musicians friend
  3. I was going to buy a Tribute L2000 Premium from my local store last week, but they never came in. G&L is having distribution problems. They said by mid - late May, they'll be able to supply any store with anything they want. Until then, they're splitting things up evenly.

The guy at the store played some at a music show, and he said they were very good for the price. The electronics are the same as on the USA models. The necks and bodies will be cut on machines, so (theoretically) will be more consistent. He said the quality is very high and the playability is good. Of course, the imports won't have the same overall feel and attention to detail as the USA models.

Instead of waiting, I bought a USA made SB2. I love that bass. :D
  4. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA, USA
    For that price you could get a nice used US G&L. Not that there is anything wrong with the Tributes (I never played one) but the price seems high in comparison to the used G&L's.

Keep your eyes peeled in the "For Sale" section of this site and you can score great deals on US G&L's!!
  5. I'd rather have a new Tribute than another used American.
  6. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    do you think that this is equal to the laklands?
    from the imports to the usa?

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Why's that?
  8. I dunno.

I just prefer new stuff.

Not that I can afford to be picky.
  9. sdguyman

Jan 31, 2003
    San Diego
    my local store had an L2500 tribute. I own the American one. There is no difference in my opinion in feel and looks. The imports use basswood, the US is Swampash. The electronics and hardware are US G&L original equipement. If you can get over the wood being an import and the headstock printed with TRIBUTE, this is well work the $600.
  10. There are three levels of the Tribute series - Standard, Plus and Premium. Standard and plus have basswood bodies and solid/sunburst type finishes. The premiums have ash bodies with fancier finishes.
  11. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    thanks for all the info:D I may buy a used one but where I live there are not any bass players, let alone used G&L basses:spit:
  12. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    I denfintley have my eye on an Tribute 5ver. I have always thought that G&L's look good, but I can raise a grand to drop on one. But these tributes look real sweet, and they are in my price range.
  13. foolfighter24

foolfighter24 Guest

Apr 22, 2000
    So, has anyone found any reason why one might want to think twice about these basses? Or are the pitfalls here similar to all basses at this price?
  14. How about nobody around here or online has one in stock?

There is a red one with rosewood board over on ebay right now.

Anyone know an internet dealer with any in stock?
  15. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    MF has some in stock... I was checking today!

I managed to play the Premium L2000 today. It was the cherryburst with a maple neck. I don't know why I didn't just buy it right away... it played amazing, sounded amazing... the fit and finish seemed great from what I looked at. I think it would easily stand up to the Lakland imports... I have too of those as well! All in all, I thought it was a really cool bass, and I am thinking seriously about getting one!

16. They had one at my local Manny's music. I can't give an honest answer on its sound, though, because the setup was horrible. Practically every note I was trying to play had incredible buzz. And this is after picking up a US G&L L-2000 and playing it just fine.

I'm also really curious as to how they compare to the US G&L's in sound. They seem pretty much the same regarding feel and look.
  17. MattFreemanRock

Nov 30, 2002
    I believe they have the same bridge, and pickups so they probably sound pretty damn good.
  18. foolfighter24

foolfighter24 Guest

Apr 22, 2000
  19. skunkrawk

Apr 25, 2003
    it would feel weird playing a gl copy, i mean i know gl makes it but its not a real l-200, its this weird feeling of desicration being done to the real l-2000 that i get. i dont know :bag: :spit: :confused:
  20. moelll

Apr 25, 2003
    placentia, CA, USA
    where are the tributes made at?