1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

G&L truss rod issue

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Showdown, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I have an '87 G&L L2000 that I bought a few years ago. I have had to tighten the truss rod several times - always tighten, never loosen. Then I just noticed a slight bulge and crack on the fingerboard between the nut and first fret. I immediately loosened the strings and truss rod. I am assuming that the wood around the truss rod has become compressed, causing the relief to get bigger, so I tighten it then it compresses more, and repeat until it cracked the fingerboard. I have always been careful not to over tighten it.

You can kind of see it here between the A and D strings:

gampltruss01_zps297d072a.

gampltruss02_zps47ebfc6b.

Is there anything that can be done to fix this (by a professional I mean, not by me)? It is such a great bass.

2. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

Yes, professionals have fixed such things. I have seen repairs of this type on various sites. Find a good luthier.

To all the kids out there: let this be a lesson, if you turn your truss rod in only the same direction all the time, something is wrong. ;)