G&L truss rod question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DanAdams, Mar 25, 2018.

1. DanAdams

DanAdams Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2013
    Maine
    I have a pretty screwed up neck from an early 90s G&L bass. I don't know what model specifically, the headstock has been sanded off before it got to me. Also the neck screw holes are stripped out so it's a prime candidate for the hack job I'm proposing.
    The truss rod adjust is at the headstock end, and I'm thinking of cutting the neck to fit a Peavey T40 / Ibanez ATK 3 way Frankenbass (OH YEAH!).
    the T-40 / ATK Frankenbuild... excitement building
    My question is this:
    At what fret marker does the truss rod begin? I'm thinking of shortening it from 21 frets to 20 frets, or perhaps 19 frets. If I cut at that point will I run into any truss rod or other stuff like stabilizing rods?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
  2. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    If it's an early 90s neck you should be able to see the truss rod anchor near the heel. It's very close to the end of the neck.
    20180325_182310.jpg

DanAdams likes this.
  3. DanAdams

DanAdams Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2013
    Maine
    Thank you. I'll consider routing the body of the bass further to accomplish this rather than shortening the neck I guess. That I how I remember the neck. It's in storage right now. I know it's a 4 bolt 21 fret. I can't remember the exact date right now.

bdgotoh likes this.
  4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021