1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

G&L USA JB

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chadillac, May 1, 2010.

1. Chadillac

Chadillac

Feb 15, 2010
    Does anyone have this bass? I almost pulled the trigger on a Fender USA Jazz but this one looks pretty good. No local shops carry it but I trust this groups opinion. The most important thing to me is to make sure I get that same neck as on the fender jazz... It just fits perfectly. Are these necks comparable? Thanks.

2. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    The JB has the G&L #8 neck, with 1.5" nut width and 12" fretboard radius. It's a Jazz neck for sure, but feels slightly different from a Fender American Series/Standard Jazz. This is partly the G&L's flatter fretboard radius (Fender's is 9.5"), but mostly its slightly chunkier rear profile.

I have an excellent Fender Jazz and two G&L basses with #8 necks, and they're all wonderful, but the G&L's have better playability. I attribute this mostly to the factory Plek fret levelling that allows lower action with no fret buzz. Otherwise, I'm not sure I'd have a preference. The playability on the G&L's is so great that I have GAS for a JB, even though my Fender Jazz is my number one bass.

If you like a Fender Jazz neck, chances are you'd be happy on the G&L.

3. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
    Is there any reason to believe you couldn't get the JB with a #6 neck? (7.5" radius)

http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/USA/options/bass.asp

4. Volume4

Volume4

Sep 15, 2009
    Long Island
    You absolutely can get any neck...or any listed available option.... you want on any model.

I once came very close to ordering a G&L bass with options....I was shocked at how easy it was to get a quote and get the ball rolling and for only a slight upcharge of the same model off the rack.

Put together a list of all available options, Color, wood, fretboard, etc.. write them down and bring them to a G&L dealer, you'll get a quote within a week and for not much more than taking an in stock JB.

5. Nedmundo

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Good point. When the JB came out this wasn't the case, because the JB has a four bolt, 20 fret neck unlike the six bolt 21 frets of other G&L basses. So it was offered with just the #8. But someone on another forum recently confirmed all necks are now available on the JB, so it's a great option for those "J with a P neck" folks.

6. g&lplayer

g&lplayer

Feb 24, 2010
    Chicago
    Ive actually had a JB-2 for about 12 years now and been using it as my main bass for the whole time. Forget which ones but I got a few non-standard options on teh neck and fretboard. Anyways, I absolutely love it! Its a REALLY versatile bass and can be used (IMO) in a lot more kinds of situations than a fender. For some reason, when hooked up to a quality amp there is no competition for me between a fender jazz and a G&L.

7. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
  8. Randall

Randall

Aug 6, 2009
    Canada.
    I liked my G&L 2500 so much I bought a JB-2 a little while after. Both very nice and excellent playability on both.

9. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
  10. Nedmundo

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    That's exactly the combo that's giving me GAS right now: black, tort, rosewood, matching painted headstock. With G&L's amazing finishes, I bet it looks stunning. I'll need to sell something to make room, but I wanna do it.

11. Chadillac

Chadillac

Feb 15, 2010
    So I definately appreciate all of the responses here but I am a bit of newbie and am not quite exactly sure what I am reading here - is the current G&L JB a special order item if I want the same neck at the fender mia jazz? Or is it that the neck is simply different and I shouldn't worry because it feels good (or at least very similar to the MIA jazz)?

Thanks

12. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
    It's not a special order item. You have a variety of options with U.S. made G&L models. Check the link in post #3 above. Post #4 is quite informative too.

13. Volume4

Volume4

Sep 15, 2009
    Long Island
    All you need to do is call, email or visit an authorized G&L dealer. If the dealer you contact is reluctant or makes things difficult....it's because the dealer is lazy or does not have a good relationship with G&L....don't give up, try another dealer.

For example....this is the JB I have in mind

#6 Neck
    Baby Blue with matching Headstock
    Gun Oil Gloss Neck
    Rosewood Fingerboard

I just give that info to the dealer, based on my previous quote...and given that it seems in stock new JB's go for around $1500.... I figure ordering one to these specs will be $1600-$1750.

Not so much because these options are "upgrades" or "upcharges"...... just because a dealer is less likely to offer the same discount on a "special order".

It's really great, almost like a Custom Shop.....

Someone tell me if I'm wrong.....I mean we can't just go to a Fender dealer and order an AV 62 Jazz in Sonic Blue, can we?

I think it would automatically be a Custom Shop investment for considerably more $ than the G&L......otherwise I think we'd be seeing more of them around here.

14. Chadillac

Chadillac

Feb 15, 2010
    So based upon those numbered options in the link - what is most comparable to the Fender Jazz - neck 6?

15. Volume4

Volume4

Sep 15, 2009
    Long Island
    I would say so, that what I'm basing it on. I'm actually torn over a #5 and a #6....since my J has a P bass neck and so does my P.

I'm at least 6 months from buying a new bass..... I'd be curious to see how this goes for you if you do it. Please keep us updated.

I was givng this a lot of thought....and considering the pricing and options available for the following

Fender AV 62 Jazz
    Fender CS 64 NOS Jazz (production run, not special order)
    Sadowsky Metro Ultra Vintage J
    G&L USA JB

For me considering the $ and options available... I really think the USA JB ordered to preferred specs and finish....was the best option. A Vintage style Jazz Bass made to your specs in Fullerton USA for well under 2G

16. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    I think your price is about right. Maybe a tad low( maybe more like $1800 with upgrades). Mine also has the gun oil gloss neck over figured maple. Stunning! I was lucky enough to find a sample that the G & L rep was taking around to show off and the shop I do business with was nice enough to let me put it on layaway for a VERY significant discount. (Think MIA Jazz price). I agree that these basses are custom shop quality for a lot less money and I cant wait to get it home.

17. Nedmundo

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    It depends which Fender Jazz. The #6 with the 7.5" radius is most comparable to the vintage reissues, like the American Vintage '62 and '75, and the MIM Classic 60's, which have a 7.25" radius. The #6 is G&L's take on a vintage Jazz neck, so if that's the feel you want, definitely go #6.

The American Standard Fenders have a 9.5" radius, which is right between the G&L #6 and #8 (12"). To me, the #8 feels a little more like the 9.5" radius Fenders, but I'm sure others feel differently. The #8 is the standard neck for the JB, so it wouldn't be an upcharge.

18. Chadillac

Chadillac

Feb 15, 2010
    Thanks for the advice on the neck Nedmundo - the fender I had my eye on was MIA jazz which from the serial number appears to be a '09 model that is new stock the shop was willing to deal on. I like the thin feel as the P style ibanez I am currently playing just is not right in my hands. Sounds like I am probably fine with the standard #8.